Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the idiot light for my oil pressure has i believe been giving me trouble, I've decided to install a proper gauge, what are the advantages or disadvantages of mechanical or electric gauges, tips on installation of both also would help in my decision on which one to chose. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
noruckus said:
Since the idiot light for my oil pressure has i believe been giving me trouble, I've decided to install a proper gauge, what are the advantages or disadvantages of mechanical or electric gauges, tips on installation of both also would help in my decision on which one to chose. Thanks
The advantage to mechanical is having less electrical stuff. The advantage to electric is having less mechanical stuff. :p

I think many people used to feel that mechanical gauges were more accurate, but a good modern electric oil pressure gauge is plenty good.

Personally, I prefer wiring up an electric gauge instead of running plumbing into the car for a mechanical one.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
I installed a mechanical on mine, I know alot of people say that there is a danger of oil line busting, but it has never happened on any I have used. Very simple install. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
If you go with an electrical gauge, you'll have to change the sending unit, as they are different for idiot lights and gauges.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Midlife said:
If you go with an electrical gauge, you'll have to change the sending unit, as they are different for idiot lights and gauges.
Yes, but any good gauge will come with the new sending unit included.

·
Registered
182 Posts
[quote='70 StangMan]I installed a mechanical on mine, I know alot of people say that there is a danger of oil line busting, but it has never happened on any I have used. Very simple install. Just my $.02[/quote]
I never had one fail either, I just prefer electric. I ran all mechanical gauges on my race car and never had a problem.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Electrical is what I'll be using. I don't like the idea of routing, nor having, fluid filled lines going everywhere.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
The bonus of the mechanical is I.M.O., is if you have a oil pressure problem, you will know immediately.My $.02 again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
reenmachine said:
Midlife said:
Yes, but any good gauge will come with the new sending unit included.
My Autometer came with the new sendind unit like said...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You'll have to change the senders either way as the mechanical gauges have there own fittings to go in as well...I prefer the mechanical guages.It's not that hard to run the small tubes out to the engine and the only wiring is hooking up the lights.

·
Registered
182 Posts
[quote='70 StangMan]The bonus of the mechanical is I.M.O., is if you have a oil pressure problem, you will know immediately.My $.02 again.[/quote]
As you will with an electrical gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts