Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bright should gauges be at night? I've got a '66 Coupe and when I turn on the lights I get a faint green glow but I've really got to struggle to see anythign clearly. Are there lights you can switchout or do I need a new gauge cluster?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In case you didn't know...the headlight switch also functions as a dimmer switch for your gauges. Turn the handle left to right. If you have it on the highest setting before your interior lights pop on. Possibly you have a bad headlight/dimmer switch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i like those dim green light not to many cars have them these days. but havent messed around enough to know much about dimmer switch. do you have a good ground from the switch. unwanted resistance could cause dimmn lights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good suggestions....I did know that the switch acts as a dimmer but I see no change int he lights when I rotate it. Bad switch maybe? Not sure about the ground and where do I find the bulbs? In the cluster itself?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, you have to pull the bezel out, make sure the battery is disconnected so you don't arc the constant voltage regulator to the dash and burn it out. The bulbs are in the back of the bezel and press in. I doubt all of your bulbs are shot. Check grounds and the highly probably bad headlight switch...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
This is typical. Pull the cluster and put in LED bulbs.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
1. Clean your grounds
2. Pull the switch out. You can see the copper coil that turns when you turn the knob. Clean it and the electrical contact that rubs on it. This is your resistance adjustment to the dash lights.
3. Replace all the bulbs
4. Pull the cluster, remove the front bezel, and CLEAN everything so you can see through the plastic clearly.

I did all of this and now my stock system is easy to read at night

-Matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
I replaced my bulbs with blue LED. Brighter and will be the last bulbchange as they last much longer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
national parts depot has the ones you are looking for (the LED dash bulbs)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts