Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I guess a couple of questions are in order...What tranny are you running, what do you expect out of the car, and what type of driving do you normally do.

I'm running 4.11's in my 66 with a C4 and I'm hitting some pretty serious rpm's out on the freeway. And I'm even thinking of going to 4.57's, but that's just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well right know i am runnin a 3 speed automatic but a four speed manual is in the near future. Im not takin this to the drag strip but i expect to be real quick off the line. mostly i do city driving not much highway driving

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd say that either a 3.50 or if you want a little more gear than maybe a 3.70 would be good choice. Is the 351W stock or built up a little?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the car but from what i know the engine is basically stock. The only mods are dual exhaust, glass packs, and air shocks.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm running 3.50's in my '66 9" with a beefed up 289 and love them (in fact the pumpkin used to be in 66benchcoupe's car). Of course I also have an AOD, so it just purrs on the freeway.

Before deciding on gears, make sure you really have a 9". They're fairly rare in '66's. Only the K codes came with 9" rears from the factory ... all A and C codes got an 8".

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm runnning a 3.50 gear and would not recommend going much higher (numerically) unless you are considering an overdrive or don't drive on the highway too often. BTW, if you are changing transmissions, why go to a 4 sp? Look into a T-5 or Tremec.

·
Registered
282 Posts
3.25 is a good medium between punch and highway. If you go with a 5 speed or AOD, go big or go home. Nothing less than 4.11!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was lookin into 5 speeds but do you know where i can get a t5 for a decent price? the cheapest i have seen is 2500. I would love to have the 5 speed if i can find a decnet price.

Thanks
Nathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts