Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I pulled into the small parking lot where a friend of mine was working. I turned off the car and started to get out. But wait, I heard a car running. No cars were running when I pulled into the lot and no one followed me. It was my car running with the ignition off! I sat there a moment in confusion. I turned the key back on and then off and the car stopped running. What should I do? Graphite the switch? Replace the switch? Just forget about it?

By the way the switch is a replacement that I put in quite awhile ago. The car is not used daily but rather occasionally.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying just replacing the cylinder may not be enough? I may have to replace the entire switch?

·
Registered
823 Posts
So are you saying just replacing the cylinder may not be enough? I may have to replace the entire switch?
You would have to take lock out. Easy with a paperclip. Then you can see if the lock pin is worn or the switch. Sounds like you might have some slop between the two so when you turned the switch to off the contacts did not actually break.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is the solenoid as I put a new in 3 or 4 months ago. I guess I will just have to run it and see what happens. It has only done it once so far so maybe it was just a fluke. I doubt it but maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts