Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is out with the girls tonight and so I thought I'd drive the 66' over to the in-laws for some coffee and talk.. (yeah, I like my in-laws!)

BIG Mistake :eek:

Anyway, these poor kids with their blowoff valves popping in their little foreign cars messed with me all the way over and all the way back.

MAN I wish I could open her up and let the poor kids hear some real American iron (but you know how I feel about keeping that stuff for the track).

Lesson learned..... no more test drives on Saturday night.. :(

You guys that have never been on the track MUST try it... I don't think I could have withstood the urge otherwise! ::

·
Registered
846 Posts
You must be the "ice man"! I would have opened a can of "watch my tailight grow smaller"! on them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd love to go more often but the nearest 1/4 is an hour away. On top of that, the imports tend to avoid me for some reason and I end up running solo. :: It's for the best, I'd probably break a lot of stuff at the track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just to throw a damper on things. A couple of days ago 2 guys in Edmonton Canada were street racing each other in their 'vettes around 8 pm. One guy lost control and killed a 55 year old woman pedestrian. The drivers weren't kids, the drivers were both in their 50's. Maybe it's just 'vette guys trying to prove who had the biggest d**k.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
isent there a track right around brandon? it might be 1/8 mile, and isent there one in or near tampa?, i goto the one in orlando about a half our drive for me.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
You're not throwing a damper on things, roadracer (like me) is a staunch 'take it to track' believer. It's tough to have the discipline of mind to behave on the street. This is made particularly hard when you have a car that attracts the sort of attention ours do, everyone seems to want to egg you on...

Stick to looking cool on the street! Tell 'em you'll see 'em on the track! My nearest road course is 2 hours away, but that's where I get my fix!

-bob

·
Registered
427 Posts
You're thinking of bradenton, not brandon. The track in brandenton is the one that is an hour away. Sunshine speedway in St. Pete is only an 1/8, it's about 45 min away. Then the track out in orlando near you, is about 2 hours out but may be worth the trip once because of all of the events they have there.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
When I last had my late model Mustang on the street (with a 65 289 in it :) ) , I used to beat up on the ricers without really street racing . They would catch me at a light and rev at me . Id punch it leaving the light and be 2 cars infront of them when I shifted to 2nd ... then Id let off the gas . Never made it over 40MPH or became uncontrolled but still let them know they should leave real american muscle alone .
Now I would not even do that , as I have gotten older and have had kids I figured out it was safer to hold off for the track . It might bother you that they mess around but be for sure that they know if you wanted to make thier car look bad it would be easy :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guy's, Being a bonafied old fart, I can't agree more with the "American Muscle" thing, BUT, I have to tell you, I got
an education not too long ago at Bradenton speedway. My son's are 21 and 23 and after messing with VW's for a
while, they made the jump to Japanese cars. For the most part, I just shook my head at some of the stuff they did.
Bradenton runs a 1320 night once a month which is basically a heads-up "run what you brung" type of event that
caters to street cars. One of my kid's friends has an early 90's 240SX with a Japan domestic market conversion.
The kid's always at my house and to tell you the truth, I never much looked at the car. Well, he went a 12.40 on
street tires. No juice, just a larger turbo. My older boy went a 14.2 with his basically stock Integra and my younger
boy went a 13.95 with his Civic, no juice or turbo on either. Believe me when I tell you, some of these imports run. I'm not talking about the
fart can muffler, cover the car with stickers ricers. What really pisses me off though, is that they still get 25MPG
with the air on! LOL

G

·
Good decision.
When that happens I just smile and they know. I also agree that these ricers do have fast cars so don't underestimate them but it ain't worth any hassles on the public road.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
hey lemondrop be carefull! i did the same thind and a orlando cop gave me a ticket for "exhabition of speed" i thought no big deal untill my insurance rate went up and my agent told me that "exhabition of speed" was a ticket for racing on the street!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.