Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by hybrid cars. I was reading in the Limbaugh Letter that Hybrids were getting bad gas mileage so I googled it and found this
While the EPA rated the Honda Civic hybrid at 47 miles per gallon in the city, consumer reports got just 26 miles per gallon. The EPA rated the Toyota Prius at 60 miles per gallon in the city.

"We actually got 35, so it's a big difference," says Champion
our buick, which is three times bigger that those two, gets the same(even if we do hate it).

so have a sense of pride as you thunder by one of these battery-packs-on-wheels.

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

PS this is all not to mention having to replace $1500 batteries ::

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The EPA computer formula (they do not drive cars to figure mileage) just doesn't work for Hybrids . NO ONE is getting the mileage the window sticker says they will get! :: ::

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I think it has a lot if not mostly to do with the operator behind the wheel. I'll Bet dimes to donuts that people aren't driving them to their full advantage.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,658 Posts
A guy I know bought a Prius and came round showing it off. I asked him about the mileage and he sort of hedged and didn't give a direct answer. I then asked him what it cost to replaced the batteries. He said "What do you mean". I asked him if he hadn't had to replace the battery in his other vehicles over the years. He said yes and I said "Well of course, batteries in anything don't last forever." He said he would check into that.
I haven't talked to him since, but I noticed he's now driving a new Corolla.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't have any personal experience, but just want to note- most hybrids use regenerative braking... ie, you have to step on the brakes to charge the battries. if you're doing alot of expressway driving than the whole system kind of doesn't work like its supposed to.

- Jason

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm going to save money by using JATO bottles to power my car!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I read someplace that the batteries in the hybrids are supposed to last the life of the car. Of course, that may mean the car is to be thrown away after 5 years..?? ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
The first internal combustion engines weren't pinnacles of technology either... Give them time, the bugs will get worked out and the cars will start to live up to their promise... I applaud the manufacturers for pushing the envelope and exploring new options...

-bob

And, PS, that sig line I discourage as it flies in the face of our 'no politics' rule... besides, the French were at Normandy with Canada, Britain and us; also, check your math - we didn't invade Iraq to 'get Al Qaida out', we went to rid the world of Saddam Hussein and his WMD's...

-bob

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
not to mention the contributions of the French Resistance.

Germany not only rolled over France but most of mainland Europe.

And there really was no "us" since it was World War II.

Many, many inaccuracies here in this sig

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
changing the sig now. sorry about that. I got it off an email it was a quote from jay leno.

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
EPA doesn't use a computer program to generate fuel economy labels. Manufacturers are responsible for running fuel enconomy tests that are standardized by the EPA's Code of Federal Regulations. These test results are submitted to EPA and they determine which ones they want to run confirmation tests on in their Ann Arbor labs, and they always take the high mileage ones to confirm.

I'm new to hybreds and not real familiar, maybe someone who is can comment, but I was told there are two types of hybreds on the market now and the one GM is touting is not a true hybred.

Hey, doesn't "Lord" of the dance have religious ovetones? ::

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My 89 Civic 1.5L with 210,000 miles and a 5 speed gets 45-47 mpg at 70 miles per hour .

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
here are some things to ponder?
my 91 honda civic ( swmbos old car) was a 5 speed 4 cyl. and got 45 miles a gallon, but since i am always at the junk yard and have seen many of these that where in accidents i wouldent drive it!
on the ADVANCES the auto industry is taking (not) it is more a political game then a conservation effort.
a couple of cases in point in 1975 my father then a time study engineer and union negotiater for ford was in a meeting where they introdcued a LIFETIME muffler it was made of high strength ceramic matterial, ford decided not to use it and sold the rights to a large muffler manufacturer, who then buried the idea, and ford also had a r&d team that worked on a hydrogyn powered engine useing water as a fuel sourse broken down to O2 and hydrogyn and the results of the engine was a clean cheap engine, this idea was shevled stating that it was unsafe ( they could have put the same effort into it they have these hybrids and have it working) of course it would be a pitty to see al those oil companys out of buisness.
oh and i was watching the speed channel about the latest and greatest features on the new BMW with headlights that turn with the car ( new my foot) anyone ever see a tucker?
my point is dont feel the auto industry is trying to save our planet, they are trying to sell cars we saw this in the 70's when they thought america wanted small junk boxs.
just my .02 ::

1 - 16 of 16 Posts