Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I have limit funds. Next I bought a 69 Fastback with out a motor. VIN says originally came with 351-4V Windsor. Since it would be next to impossible to find a matching numbers motor; would this car be more desirable with a Cleveland motor or just put a Windsor in it and go? Would it have to be an old Windsor? Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I don't believe these motors were stamped with a partial VIN... so any date code correct 351 block would do. The stock intake and carb are pretty common too. I believe it is only the Boss models that got an engine VIN stamping, I know that our 69 coupe and 69 Mach did not have any.

I would not worry about a date code correct engine unless you are serious about a concourse restoration. For a non-GT, non-Mach fastback, it is unlikely to greatly affect the value to the general public.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
You can put a 351W 4V motor in the car & then it will be close to stock. The 351C's came out in '70. As for value unless you are trying to restore the car to its original condition I really don't think it matters that much which engine you use. If it is not numbers matching who cares? Use whatever motor fits in your budget. They can all be built to go. If it were my car I would probably build the 351W 4V motor because I think parts are more plentiful than the 351C (and probably cheaper). Good luck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dads 69 Mach1 has the VIN stamped on the engine and the trans. I would have to guess that most 69's were stamped with the VINs. At least its better for re-sale value if you have proof of originality.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. As always you guys know best. On my own so much of this stuff is just a shot in dark. Even reading all the books and talking to people. Most of my friends are Bow-Tie people and can't understand why I love Ford and Mustangs so much.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My '69 Mach does have a partial VIN on the rear of the block. It is only the first four digits (9T02) which proves nothing except that it was originally in a '69 Sportsroof made in NJ.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Put as muich horsepower in it that you can afford. Without the original #'s engine, more horsepower=more fun=more value. I personally would hunt around for a cheap FE like a t-bird 315HP 390 4bbl engine. You can still get these fairly cheap.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
If particularly lucky, you might find a supercharged Ford Lightening in a junkyard - pull the engine, trans, all engine harness wiring and sensors, up to and including the computer, make sure the accessories, brackets are there and you'd have quite the car for around $2000 installed. Even the non-supercharged version would give you an EFI 351(?) 5.4/5.8 litre(?). Even a 4.6 from a late 90s-2004 stang can be made to fit, albeit it not easily because of the shock towers versus width of the engine's top end.

good luck

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I don't believe these motors were stamped with a partial VIN... so any date code correct 351 block would do. The stock intake and carb are pretty common too. I believe it is only the Boss models that got an engine VIN stamping, I know that our 69 coupe and 69 Mach did not have any.
If your '69's don't have a partial VIN on the block, the engines probably are not original. By '69, Ford was stamping all blocks with at least a partial VIN. My '69 F code (San Jose built) has a partial VIN on the original 302.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If your '69's don't have a partial VIN on the block, the engines probably are not original. By '69, Ford was stamping all blocks with at least a partial VIN. My '69 F code (San Jose built) has a partial VIN on the original 302.
When you say partial VIN, do you mean the first four digits like mine, or do you mean part of the sequential number?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts