Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
Quite a bit, actually. The wiring is completely different and the horn relay picks up its power at the regulator (the alternator-equipped Mustang has a completely different horn circuit). Have you thought about one of these? https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/82101/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nFwfgFeJGaZAY95-QhQFVVHEoFPXflGrA_mcr-n8WuSiRVqchqjSoBoCEPwQAvD_BwE

Since it's a "one wire" you could keep the original wiring and just make a couple changes to the regulator (rip out the guts, connect a jumper to the A+ and B terminals, and having the F terminal connect to nothing).

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
mustang steve has the wiring diagram you need to follow when doing the conversion here;

the conversion is fairly easy overall.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I CONSIDERED putting an alternator in for about one week and then asked myself "how much will I be using this car". the answer for me is once a week for 15-20 weeks. For me it just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
I CONSIDERED putting an alternator in for about one week and then asked myself "how much will I be using this car". the answer for me is once a week for 15-20 weeks. For me it just wasn't worth it.
I recently took an open-cab vehicle to an event in the Poconos. Since it's 6V generator powered, I figured early morning might be a problem. Got up 6 am, 23°F, had to brush frost off the driver seat. Started immediately on the first try. Same thing the next day. So, why would I consider 12V alternator conversion? I'm not.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently took an open-cab vehicle to an event in the Poconos. Since it's 6V generator powered, I figured early morning might be a problem. Got up 6 am, 23°F, had to brush frost off the driver seat. Started immediately on the first try. Same thing the next day. So, why would I consider 12V alternator conversion? I'm not.
This car is getting a full power train upgrade. It's my daughter's car which she has owned for 34 years starting as a 14 yr. old HS freshman. She's not a gear head but a medical professional that loves her first car and plans on keeping it forever and then turning it over to her daughter who is studying mechanical engineering. My granddaughter is going to be beside me all the way on pulling the engine, C-4, front suspension and rear axle. 331 stroker w/Sniper, T-5, 8" traction loc and front discs going in. Street and highway driven only but she wants to be able to run 80 mph hrs on end and pass cars in seconds. The 55 yr. old D Code is OK and I have given up trying to talk her out of it. She's paying the bill. The learning curve looks fairly high but I've got some really good people to guide me with 35 to 50 years of racing and engine building experience. Long term reliability is what we are after as dad isn't going to be around forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts