Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been told that there is a 1964 Indy 500 Pace car at the Indianapolis 500 Museum. does anyone know if this is one of the coupes or a convertible ? i spoke to 2 people at the museum yesterday and neither knew the answer. if it is a convert i'd love to know if its one of the actual converts built to pace the race in May'64. some sources i've read claim there were 2 converts built and some report 3. i know one of the converts is owned by a collector in GA. another was given to AJ Foyt for winning the race and is rumored to have been totaled by someone he gave it to. the 3rd car if there were 3 is unaccounted for.
can anyone shed some light on these questions ?

TIA

G

·
There were 3 pace car convertibles to be used for race duty. At least one of them was actually used as a real pace car. This is the one owned by the fella referenced in the In Search of Mustangs book. The other ones, as far as we know, have not been located. All we know is that one went to Watkins Glen to be used as a pace car again and another went to Sebring and was the 1965 Sebring pace car.

Good luck trying to find out more, myself and a friend here on VMF did some legwork on trying to track them down, but were only able to get so far.

A point of interest about these cars is that they all 3 started as Wimbledon White 260 convertibles with medium blue interiors. They were sent to Dearborn Steel & Tubing where they were re-painted a bright pearl white. The interiors were dyed white also. DST did all the cosmetic prep-work on the cars and some of the functional work such as the flag mounts on the rear.

The dignitary pace cars have pretty much no significance as there was nothing to identify them once the decals came off. They were simply cars pulled from dealer stock in the Indianapolis area that were White and had red, blue or white interiors.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
A point of interest about these cars is that they all 3 started as Wimbledon White 260 convertibles with medium blue interiors. They were sent to Dearborn Steel & Tubing where they were re-painted a bright pearl white. The interiors were dyed white also. DST did all the cosmetic prep-work on the cars and some of the functional work such as the flag mounts on the rear.
O really? All of the books I have denote them as pre-production K-codes...damn 80s books :p

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Pace Car convertible in the Indy 500 museum is one of the 35 dignitary cars. It has an all-blue interior, 4-speed, console, and A/C. It was purchased by a local doctor in the Indianapolis area shortly after the race and donated to the museum. I saw it many years ago during a trip to that area, and the car is in decent shape, but definitely shows its age.

AJ Foyt did NOT get one of the Hi-Po on-track convertibles for winning the race. He was given a fully loaded white convertible; whether it was wrecked later is unknown.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I lived in Indy just a few miles from the 500 in the '50s, actaully the 500 is
in Speedway not Indianapolis! Been to the "Indy"
museum when I lived there!
I suspect some of the legendary stuff is part myth part fact!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts