Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I'm tossing a few photos out here to please the masses. And to make you cringe. I've only loaded 2 photos so far from my brake work from last week. I have over a hundred so bear with me while I get them loaded.

Here's one of the calipers before cleaning. Yes, they all looked this bad. After cleaning, they turned out pretty good, except the inside where the piston rides was pretty corroded.

Here's the piston that I really messed up. This was after I smoothed it out, so imagine what it looked like before.

Enjoy the photos and the horror that I actually enjoyed.

TK

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That piston doesn't look reusable any more. I'd be worried that the marks might rip the rubber insert.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Yeah, I tried rebuilding the 4-piston KH calipers on my 67 GT350. Spent two days getting the pistons out of the bores. Bought new pistons to replace the ones I ruined. Honed the bores. Put in new seals. Installed the calipers and poured brake fluid in the master cylinder. Did not bother trying to bleed the brakes at that time. Came out the next day and brake fluid was puddled under the car. The "rebuilt" calipers were leaking just from gravity! Bought brand-new (not rebuilt) calipers from SSBC. Very expensive but pretty and they DON'T LEAK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts