Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Houston Texas area restoration shop.In the last 30 years I've had this problem twice before.At that time I owned the cars and sold them at a loss and got OUT.This time is with MY CUSTOMERS CAR.Long story short.Complete re-build..030 bored.VERY mild 1 step up cam (RV type).Dish top pistons.68-289 short block w 66 heads.64cc. There is NO WAY to keep the engine temp down. The longer it runs the hotter it gets.20 min. is it.Guage burried.Engine water temp is actually 190-195.Thats too hot.Head gaskets are on correctly.New 4 core radiator.Factory 6 blade solid fan.Less than an inch from the rad.With or with out t-stat.ALL THE SAME.Pressure test is fine,no leakage.Is there a wrong head gasket????Wrong intake gasket???Water is flowing through rad. great.I'm stumped.WE HAVE TO FIND IT...Please help me.E-MAIL OR CALL SCOTT 936-756-2535 [email protected] PLEEEEEEEEASE SEND HELP!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. I found that the fan shroud and an additive used for racing engines to cool it down about 20 degrees helped a lot. The fan shroud helps channel the air through the radiator instead of pulling it from around the engine where it's hot already. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
190-195 after 20 minutes of running is not hot...that's just about right. Why do you think it is running hot? Because the gauge says so? Those gauges are notorious for not being terribly accurate, and by adjusting the Constant Voltage Regulator behind the dash, you can set the gauge reading to whatever you want it to.

·
Registered
471 Posts
190-200 is great it has to be the gauge reading faulty do you have a laser thermometer to test both upper and lower rad hoses if they are running close to same temp at 190-210 your great should be no prob except with gauge or reg in back of dash. ::

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That engine was designed to run at about 192 degrees. Just make sure you have a good 13 psi radiator cap, and I would look at a new temperature sending unit, or just hook up a mechanical gauge to replace the one it has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts