Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

If an owner of a automobile has the VIN number, data plate and bill of sale for the car, Is it possible to get a title for that automobile in any state but particularly in the state of Ohio? How do you go about getting a title if it is possible to get one?
What's happened here is one of the previous owners of the car lost the title, never to be found. The car has been sold once or twice more since then and of course there has been no title passed on to the next owner.

Any Ideas???

THANKS!!!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I think you should check the history of the car very carefully and inspect for serious injury repair.

The easiest way to paw off a salvalged title car is to "lose" the title and sell it to some one in a bill of sale state (State's that allowing plating and and driving with only a bill of sale)

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Yes, I went thru this with a friend of mine with his '34 coupe. In NH you fill out a VIN verfication form (I think it's called). It then MUST be verifed by a state inspection garage or a State Police officer. Turn it all in and your good to go. No title needed I think after 15 yrs (not sure of time).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Georgia is a bill of sale state. Any car older then 1985 simply needs a bill of sale and no title. Cars that have not been titled in 20 years were not converted to the new database so they don't exist.

I'm not recommending that you do it but is you say you bought the mustang out of a barn in georgia and there simply is no title, sorry. Ohio must have a way to deal with this because no matter what ohio says, its simply not available. They may deal with as if it were a salvage at that point.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In OK, you can aways get a State assigned VIN. Example: you build a street rod from purchased parts and you want it titled and registered. In this case, you fill out paperwork showing where the parts came from that comprize the car. The State can ask for receipts to prove origin.

They also do this for cars in your situation, e.g. no clear title. The State warns you that should the title later be contested, the State assigned VIN can't be used as evidence of legal ownership. It only provides a state recognized way of transferring ownership of a vehicle not clearly titled. Its up to the owner to research the history. If the title history can be cobbled together then the State can be petitioned to properly title the vehicle.

Its a real pita when title papers are lost but the feds require the states to make it this way to prevent chop shop operators from having a free license to steal.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
When I bought my car it was in detroit and the guy had lost the title. The dmv issued a new title but based it on the door tag which was wrong.
I'm having www.broadwaytitle.com correct it.
I beleive they can also help you out with lost/no titles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts