Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
UPDATE tonight 26 march. MORE SUCCESS

put on old carb, pulled pugs and dried/cleaned them. Put exhaust system back on. Drained the oil, first ounce or so when i cracked the drain plus was CLEAR! Drained oil filter. Thanks tom991 for helping me avoid blowing up my car. Replaced oil.

connected fuel and viola, car ran!!! A bit rough and still a bit Smokey on right side. Didn’t run it long. generator not yet installed so no belt to water pump.

now for the next questions.....

1)what could be wrong with the rebuilt carb that was pouring gas into mainly the right side. That’s where the fuel was dripping out of the exhaust manifold.

2) since I haven’t really run it much yet, could the smoke on the right side be the excess fuel/oil/gunk burning off?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,147 Posts
UPDATE tonight 26 march. MORE SUCCESS

put on old carb, pulled pugs and dried/cleaned them. Put exhaust system back on. Drained the oil, first ounce or so when i cracked the drain plus was CLEAR! Drained oil filter. Thanks tom991 for helping me avoid blowing up my car. Replaced oil.

connected fuel and viola, car ran!!! A bit rough and still a bit Smokey on right side. Didn’t run it long. generator not yet installed so no belt to water pump.

now for the next questions.....

1)what could be wrong with the rebuilt carb that was pouring gas into mainly the right side. That’s where the fuel was dripping out of the exhaust manifold.
Did you test the carb as suggested to see if the float needle valve was functioning properly and also do a pressure chek on the fuel pump to see if it's not exceeding 7 lbs PSI.
2) since I haven’t really run it much yet, could the smoke on the right side be the excess fuel/oil/gunk burning off?
You need to get the generator hooked up so you can bring the engine up to operating temp to see if that smoking goes away. Also check to see if fuel is still dumping into the engine. If it is with you original carb, your fuel pump may be putting out too much pressure and either you need to replace the fuel pump with one that is putting out the correct PSI or check a regulator.

Another thing. I have/had a generator in my D Code coupe. It wasn't charged enough to run my lights at night. I replaced it with a 90 AMP Power Master Powergen alternator. It's a little pricey but it installs in the same brackets that your generator does. I figured by the time I got the proper brackets and stuff to convert to an alternator I may have spent close to what the Powergen costs. It looks just like the generator I replaced and it puts out more amps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thx. Tom. I have seen those powergen alternators. Look real nice. I was trying to keep the car as original as possible, but this may be another area i bite the originality bullet.

if the fuel pump is providing too much pressure wouldn’t it just overflow the bowl? The bowl is open to atmosphere so it doesn’t seem that too much pressure could force fuel anywhere. Wouldn’t it just come out the hole above the bowl in the air horn if the level gets too high?

i turned the engine with the coil disconnected and the newly rebuilt carb in place. I cranked the engine, took off the air horn and it was filled. It filled the bowl but didn’t overflow. Put the air horn back on, cranked the engine again and fuel level seemed to be the same.

Could a defective, improperly installed power valve the problem? It doesnt seem like fuel leaks back out through th power valve however when the car is sitting. Bowl seems to stay full.

as you can see i am still baffled as to what might be wrong with the rebuilt carb.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts