Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new, and im getting my 66 Mustang coupe tomorrow. :)

I've been looking and waiting for the right one for about 1 1/2 years now and i've finally found it! It's a 66 coupe, 289 .30 overbore, 2 barral carb, and new exhaust and interior. And here is a bunch of pictures because im excited and want to show it off!

I'm setting it up as a daily, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice on anything I should do to make it a little better, or anything I should do in general to it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Congratulations! The day I bought my first '65 home, I went out in the garage at least three times in the middle of the night and just turned the light on and couldn't believe it was actually sitting in my garage.

I drove that car for two years in stock condition (289, C-4, power nothing, no A/C) in sunny Florida, and here was my wish list...
A/C !!!!!!!!!
Power Brakes
Three-point seat belts
Better sound system (would have done a hidden in the glovebox though- love the '65 radio look)
Some color other than the Arcadian Blue (aka "Baby Blue")- although it did sort of grow on me.

Have fun!

Other than that, they work really nice as a daily driver. Some people say the suspensions are awful, but I thought it rode just fine. Certainly drew attention everywhere I went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get exactly what you mean, I dont even have it yet and I can't go an hour without having to look at the picture :)

And your list is pretty similar to mine, wish it had the stock radio but no big deal. And the paint is chipping a little in some places (no rust though) so ill probably get paint sometime in the nearish future, Nightmist Blue!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Nightmist Blue will look great (I'm going with Silver Smoke Grey on my current project)! Seeing your car made me go back and dig up a pic of my first '65. Loved that car...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd say these are the two most important ones for safety as a DD:

Power Brakes
Three-point seat belts

maybe a collapsible steering column too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Varilux, i love all 65-66's, and yous looks really nice, I don't know why you complained about the blue, I like it.

@BossHoss, Thanks :)

@mustangkevin, I've got those two planned, I've actually never heard of the steering column though, what are you talking about? link to one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nice looking car b.bass. Welcome to the addiction. Have fun with it.

Tom

·
Registered
961 Posts
Good looking car! Have fun!
Front power disc brake conversion with dual M/C

·
Registered
560 Posts
nice!!! its awesome, looks like you can have some fun polishing/waxing!
When I first got my mustang, It was a 2 day drive home. The first night I stayed at a hotel, but anyways, the whole night, every time I would hear a loud engine start, I would run to the window to see if someone is stealing my mustang haha.... I probably checked like 30 times.. But I didn't mind it, cause I loved seeing it there every time I looked out the window :)
You are going to love your mustang.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Awesome! I have never heard of Winston tires, but they look cool, especially with the '65 spinner hubcaps. I had those on my '65 but I had one or two hubcaps pop off while driving down the road (luckily I was able to retrieve them).

You definitely want disc brakes with a dual MC up front. Fitting a dual MC and a power booster between the firewall and shock tower will be tricky, but there are ways to accomplish it. I need to research my future setup, but here is one possibility:

Master Power Brakes - FORD 7" POWER BOOSTER / MASTER CYLINDER (MANUAL TRANSMISSION)

You would also want modern or vintage high back seats or headrests with three point belts and a collapsible steering column. Upgraded brake lights would be a great idea. Modern LED lights can give you a very bright setup. Also, a third brake light will help people see you even better:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/616580-fastback-third-brake-light-under-5-a.html

You may also want to consider an alarm system since you will be showing off your awesome car to so many people. Why not upgrade the stereo system too? You will want to listen to some good tunes while you are cruising. :thumbsup:

:pirate:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's in great shape. Nice buy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@vamustang Around the chesapeake area.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions and compliments on the car. I have some more questions for you guys now though. Whats a decently priced conversion kit for the power brakes? And whats the proper way to mount the 3 point belts, because i've seen a bunch of ways to do it. And last, is there any collapsable steering columns under $800, because that seems like alot just for that.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys, im new, and im getting my 66 Mustang coupe tomorrow. :)

I've been looking and waiting for the right one for about 1 1/2 years now and i've finally found it! It's a 66 coupe, 289 .30 overbore, 2 barral carb, and new exhaust and interior. And here is a bunch of pictures because im excited and want to show it off!

I'm setting it up as a daily, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice on anything I should do to make it a little better, or anything I should do in general to it.

Love it...I have a 67 and it's got a 289 with .30 over too.. god I love Mustangs WOOT! and congrats and welcome to the forums...:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts