Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving the 69 i bought home last night in the rain, and i was in the passenger seat (dad drove) and it was raining pretty heavy. my right foot was getting dripped on pretty consistantly from the right side under the dash kinda where the courtesy light is. Is this coming from my windshield??????

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
I would check the cowl first by poring water into the cowl area first. Have a towel ready to mop up.

My 70's cowl doesn't leak but the windsheld does.

·
Registered
220 Posts
He is right. The cowl, if it is rusted, which you know it is now, will leak onto the floor when it rains or any other time. Not good because then it rusts out your floors. This is one of the hard things to fix on our cars. Takes some welding in some tight spaces. :(

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It has to be the cowl (bad news) or some weatherstripping/sealing. After it dries out, get the advised towel and a garden hose, put the towel on the floor and run the water from the hose into the cowl vents. Spray the water in all directions if it leaks you are looking at big bucks to repair.

(You were suppose to do this before buying! Part of the check for rust and ask someone who knows these cars to check it out.)

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, put the garden hose in the cowl, and it started raining inside, WONDERFUL. i cant really see where its coming from cause of the air box and the blower motor fan is in the way, the rest of the cowl has minor surface rust, nothing major, CRAP, now what do i do?

·
Registered
471 Posts
time to tear into it and get some new pieces to weld in there you have to almost disassemble the whole underside of your dash as well as everything under the hood at the firewall.Good Luck let us know how it's working out. :( ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts