Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting new wheels on my '69 mach 1 in a couple of days. I'd like to put 17x8's on her with lower profile tires. Has anyone done this or know that it's possible to fit them in there? I'd like to go as wide as I can and still be able to turn the wheels.

--Lightnin

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
You should have no problems doing the 17 x 8 in the front. Just make sure it has a 4.5" backspace. As for the rear, I put about as much rubber underneath that I could(without rubbing anywhere) and ended up with 17 x 9.5 with a 6" backspace. The rear tire size is 275-40.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lightnin,
I have 17x9 Cobra-Rs with the 5.95 inch backspace on all 4 corners. 255/40/17s in the front and 275/40/17s in the rear. I use a 5/8 hubcentric spacer on the rear. I have a 1.5 inch hubcentric adapter on the front to help the rim clear the hump on the upper control arm and to move the wheel out to the fender lip. I think one inch would actualy be better in the front for the wheel/tire combo I have.

Here is a link to a fitment guide.
http://www.mustangrestomod.com/wheelfitment.html

·
Registered
645 Posts
The wheel wells on a 69/70 will gobble up a 17x8 pretty easily. The trickiest part of the deal is getting the rims spaced properly out so that A) they clear the upper control arms (front), and B) they don't sit in too far and look really lame.

I used '00-'01 Mustang GT wheels... can't remember what the backspacing was, but I needed to put 1" wheel spacers on from www.wheeladapter.com to make my setup work.

I ran 245/45's in front, and 275/40 in the rear. If I did it all over again, I may opt for 255/45's or something all the way around so that I could rotate the tires, but oh well.

Be sure to get the type of spacer like I pointed out in the link that bolts to the lugs, then has it's own lugs that you bolt the wheels to. I wouldn't trust big long studs with regular spacer plates.. too much stress on the studs IMO.

good luck...

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I just put 17" on a 68. But I put 1 1/4" spacers on there to make up for the backspacing on the wheels. They look really good.
Tires are only till we get more.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek/68whiteside.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts