Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing new master cylinder AND all 4 wheel cylinders. The old fluid is brownish/orange.I would like to get ALL of the old fluid out. What procedure should I use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
YouTube is your friend. A one man suction type bleeder would make it easier. You can watch how to properly bench bleed a m/c and brake system on youtube.... seriously, seeing it makes it easy.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I would disconnect one wheel cylinder at a time and pump the fluid out that way just by foot pedal.

Also install speed bleeders on the new cylinders. They're $11 for a pair, I got mine at Oreilly's on Gull Road and make bleeding really easy because they're a one way valve. Just crack them and start pumping. Vacuum bleeders have never worked well for me.

Reactions: arbys

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I'm installing new master cylinder AND all 4 wheel cylinders. The old fluid is brownish/orange.I would like to get ALL of the old fluid out. What procedure should I use?
When I replaced my Master Cylinder a few months back I swapped in a Dual Reservoir master for safety.
(I just don't trust those single reservoir "jelly jar" Masters, had one fail back in the 70's while driving)
I also changed the front drums out for Disc Brakes.
After Bench-Bleeding the Master and installing that, I gravity bleed the whole system one wheel at a time.
Took a while and and had to watch/top-off the fluid level in the master, but it was easy.
I hooked up a plastic hose to each bleeder valve (one at a time) and drained the fluid into a bottle.
Began the process with the wheel cylinder the furthest away, the Right Rear.
Good luck with your project!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,360 Posts
Before you start bleeding, save yourself a lot of work and empty the master cylinder first. I used to do it other ways but now there's these stores where everything's a dollar and they usually have some kind of baster. After a while the brake fluid tends to attack the rubber of such things and they are no longer usable. For a dollar bill I just use one for brake fluid once and toss it. Don't try for 100%, just almost all of it. Then you won't have to bleed as much. Stop bleeding when you see you've got fresh fluid at all four corners.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cylinder cap gently placed on, or off? I did mine off, using "the Club" to depress the pedal while watching the cyl with a mirror. Wife decided she wanted to help, so I instructed her to SLOWLY push on the brake. First press got fluid everywhere, including the hood somehow. Its ok honey...:censored:

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I've done it the easy "hard way" but still been able to keep air out of the system by placing a large jar at each corner with enough fluid in the bottom to cover the end of a clear tube connected to the bleeder screw. That keeps any air from getting sucked back in. Empty the master cylinder as much as you can first, and keep pouring in the new fluid, pumping the brake pedal until all that comes out of the tubes is nice clean, clear fluid. Close the screws, top off and enjoy.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Use a "spare" master cylinder lid (drill and install a leak-proof fitting) with the attached (see video).

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
^^^ I like that, and if I had to flush and fill often enough, that's about as cool as having valve covers with a slot cut in them for adjusting while the engine is running.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but, you may consider checking further into the discoloration of the brake fluid. Being brownish/orange would point to possible rust.

I would at least inspect the entire system, at most replace the entire brake system.

Stopping is much more important than going...

Allen

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
^^^ I like that, and if I had to flush and fill often enough, that's about as cool as having valve covers with a slot cut in them for adjusting while the engine is running.
Every couple years will keep the fluid from looking like his. LOL.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone tried "gravity method" where you put the tube on the bleeder, crack it open and drink cold beer while gravity does its thing? You just top off the master cylinder as needed. Thinking of trying this on mine. Sounds better than running around pumping brakes and trying to not get air in the line.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Anyone tried "gravity method" ...?
It.
Takes.
Forever.
And the fluid will just mix, never actually getting all the old stuff, water, rust etc out.
Ever flushed a weak toilet and had "leftovers"? o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts