Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't you know it, I am getting my '68 convertible ready for our big car show, Cruise'n by the Bay in Polson MT this weekend, and wouldn't you know it, my *$&#@! window regulator decides strip out and not roll up after I put new window felts in!

Now I need to rob the regulator from my '67 Fastback, which is in pieces anyway. Does anyone know any tips on getting these things out, I hate working in the doors, not enough room to work in.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
put some tape around the holes inside the door..... it covers up the sharp edges... your arms will thank you.......

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Don't have any tips for you other than take your time. With that said why don't you just go to the show with the top and both windows down? I know it probably bugs you that it doesn't work, but why risk missing the show cuz your doors all apart. Unless you can handle the job between now and then, I think you should wait. Of course I'm in San Diego where there's no way it's going to rain between now and then. How's the weather look up there in MT? Good luck with your repair and at the show.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,737 Posts
On the 68 it is not that hard to take out. You need to remove the screws on the rear track to get the back roller out, if I remember correctly. The PITA (or hands) is when you put it back together. Prepare for bloody hands and a loss of sanity. Also, a helper is a must for moving the window up and down a couple hundred times. Allow yourself about an hour to do this.

I will be watching this post to see if there are any good tricks that don't involve removing the whole window from the door....

G

·
0 Posts
if the 3 machine screws come off the regulator arm where it attaches to the window, you're in business. otherwise, it's a real pita. just wear long sleeves when working in the doors, thin gloves would be good too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice/tips, I think I will wait to replace the regulator until after the show.

The weather has been terrible, but it is suppose to be nice starting tomorrow. I have a shipment of parts tomorrow and will have my hands full installing the new stereo and other parts without worrying about fixing the window.

Thanks again everyone and have a good one.....whatever that might be?!

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts