Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am patching in my 65's drivers toe board, it rusted where it met the floor so I went up a good 6" or so with a pre-made repair panel, it will look good but I am also going to be installing a torque box after the floor is in and I know I will need to leave room for that flange, so...

Can I just cut off the down turned flange on the end of the toe board where it meets the inner rocker to allow the torque box lip to fit or will I need to cut off any more metal from the toe board?

The reason I am waiting till after the floor is in is because I have the frame extensions off also and I am going to try n shove the floor up from the underside to get it in the car, then I can add the extensions and torque box, then weld the floor down...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I wouldn't do the torque box if the floor is already out. Is it a 1 piece floor? If it's just a side you shold be able to get it in and out through the open door. I think you're life will be a ton harder trying to do the box with the floor and toeboards already welded in. I always try to fix in order of structure... for you I'd go frame rails, then torque box, then finish with the floor.

That said, You probably could cut that flange, and then either bead it down that edge, or do spots along the edge. I'm not sure how much structure that flange adds, other than ease of installation.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TQ box will be the last thing to go in since it needs the front extensions in place to weld to, I was going to get the floor up inside the car, then install the rails, then the x-member, then the floor, then the box. In that order, the box install should not be hampered by the floor being in already.

I did see an article on line that shows the on-piece floor going through the door, but I just cant see it working in real life?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I bet that's a tight squeeze... get your lube out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Check out my sig link, page 2 is when i started my toe floors frame tq box, might give you an idea of how you wanna attack yours. I got my floor through the door, a little awkward but not that hard, def need two people. good luck. oh and one more thing, if you wait till the floor is in to do the tx boxes get the one piece.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a two piece box now, the top piece slides in fine till that flange hits the joint between the remaining toe board flange and the rocker panel....why would I want a one piece, (or weld my halves together) I dont understand?

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
As long as you end up with both halves installed and welded together, it really doesn't matter how you got there. If you don't, then the torque box is just decoration and adds no strength.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Check out my sig link, page 2 is when i started my toe floors frame tq box, might give you an idea of how you wanna attack yours. I got my floor through the door, a little awkward but not that hard, def need two people. good luck. oh and one more thing, if you wait till the floor is in to do the tx boxes get the one piece.
It's good to know that you can get that thing in through the door of a fastback. I put mind in and out of my coupe several times by myself before finally welding it in. I saw it on your link I would not have believed it on a 65-68 fastback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts