Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a kit, or combinations of products that I can use to get rid of the spearomatic on my 1966 Mustang?

I need to get my steering box rebuilt, or buy one off the shelf, so if I can get a rag joint style setup and still keep all my other components now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep I did this some years ago using a column from a 74 F100 pickup. From the dash out it looks exactly the same as the Mustang column with the exception of the emergency light switch that I wired up and used since it was there anyway. Several model years of those trucks will work if you can locate one but they will require some minor modifications along with the right lower part of the steering shaft to fit your steering box, IIRC I used a lower from a 77 Granada. Also I helped another fellow do this some time back and we used his old column from the dash back but spliced in a lower part from another Ford collapsible column. While this may sound like "cobbling" it was neatly done and properly welded so as to produce a safe fully functional collapsible column that has the appearance of a factory set-up from the dash out. So yes this can be done and done in a couple of different ways and is a darn good idea! If I can be of any help with doing this just let me know.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Just ebayed those f100 columns, and they look like they would fit (I use a 68 so the spear isn't the problem, but it would be nice to find Tilt on the cheap)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So they key would be to get a 67 Mustang Steering box, then find a column to match? Are there any issues with rag joint or spice connections on the shaft itself?

Thanks for the info, its helping tremendously.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You need a 68-69 column and box as they have the key on the dash and they're collapsible.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Future project idea .

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
'70 and later have key on the column. You can always use one, then use the new "spare" hole on the dash for something else - - like a starter button.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've given this some thought also, but haven't fully explored it yet.

Why can't a 64.5 thru 67 stock shaft be "adjusted" to collapse. The reason it's called a "spearomatic" is because it's one continuous shaft from the frame rail mounted box to the steering wheel.

Why couldn't the shaft be removed, a 12" section removed from the center of it and then a larger diameter "sleeve" could be used to connect the two pieces. The sleeve could be held onto the end pieces by roll pins or some other shear type pin.

I haven't got a chance to fully look at this, but it seems like it would be a simple modification. If anyone has a 64.5-67 shaft they want to donate, I'd be happy to take a look a further look at a modification solution.

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dave, As I pointed out in my first reply I have done this before and what you are talking about will work. There are many different earlier model two piece shafts that will fit the stock column with the upper part being common and the lower sometimes different to fit different models of steering box. For instance I used the upper shaft from the early truck column and mated it to a lower from a Granada, IIRC, and used it with a short shaft box to eliminate the "spear". Just recently I built a Rack&Pinion set-up for my car and used this same column by simply removing the lower part of the shaft and replacing it with one from a 90 Ranger column which does not have the rag joint attached but has the large "double D" that I needed, it just slipped right in place. On another Mustang I helped a guy convert his stock column by exchanging the solid shaft for a two piece one and then grafting the lower part of a collapsable column from a donor car to the upper part of the stock column. There are many columns that would work with the stock one for this and with attention to detail this will look stock from the dash out and look good under the dash also. This is very easy to do and parts are not hard to find since the upper part had the same taper, splines and snap ring location for quite a few years and the lowers from well into the 90s will fit these uppers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am already familiar with that column, and it sure is cheap enough, but it would be hard to make it look right in much of anything except a race car. It really is easy to make a good safe column that looks factory and parts are as near as the local wrecking yard or maybe E-bay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a solution for my own car I just thought for sercher's sake the part # would be useful.

I picked up two '68 columns from a MI Mustang yard last Saturday. He had one or two left also. He had many more that were incomplete missing the lower shaft.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Hey guys, thought I'd bump thsi with a question.

I see some early truck and bronco columns that look like they MIGHT work (Haven't asked for measurmenets yesterday) to get a tilt column, but most seem to be automatic, so they have the auto indicator on top (And the lever on the side). Is this an actual part of the column, or can it be removed? I unfortunately kind of assume it goes inside the column for the lever, but the indicator seems to just be mounted? I have no idea though.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
I've given this some thought also, but haven't fully explored it yet.

Why can't a 64.5 thru 67 stock shaft be "adjusted" to collapse. The reason it's called a "spearomatic" is because it's one continuous shaft from the frame rail mounted box to the steering wheel.

Why couldn't the shaft be removed, a 12" section removed from the center of it and then a larger diameter "sleeve" could be used to connect the two pieces. The sleeve could be held onto the end pieces by roll pins or some other shear type pin.

I haven't got a chance to fully look at this, but it seems like it would be a simple modification. If anyone has a 64.5-67 shaft they want to donate, I'd be happy to take a look a further look at a modification solution.

Dave

A couple things:

Using a round tube as the collapse section is a BAD IDEA. Roll pins for shear won't work because the rotating and collapsing directions are both in shear. The best is to use something like a double-D type telescoping link, you can find those around online.

The column tube needs to be crushable as well. The ford columns have lots of slits in the axial direction all around the tube, and they have pushed out the middle of all the strips that are formed. When you crash this area should accordian quite well.

None of this should be expected to work quite as well as a modern column, I would expect.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The column tube needs to be crushable as well. The ford columns have lots of slits in the axial direction all around the tube said:
When using the Ford column and removing the "spear" and replacing it with later Ford parts you will have the Double D type shaft. There are quite a few years that Ford used a suitable upper part of the shaft (proper splines and lock pin location) so these are easy to find. The lowers from most years will slip right on these uppers so it is just a matter of finding one the right length and with the right end for the steering box (or R&P), these too are easy to find. Using one of the early truck columns results in a stock appearance from the dash out and is very simple to do, just be sure to use a slip type mount at the dash mounting point. It is also easy to use the stock early Mustang column by cutting it off and welding the collapsible portion of another column to it, again not hard to do at all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts