Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to getting to and getting out the four bolts on the bottom of the A/C compressor? I have the original York on the car, and I need to remove it. I have managed to get 3 of the bottom bolts out, the two toward the back of the compressor/car, and the front one closest to the driver fender. I've done this with a standard Craftsman 9/16 wrench. That last one, closest to the fan on the front, it just a bugger to reach. The standard wrenches I have are too long and too straight. A socket won't fit due to the angle of the front A/C bracket. Do I have to find a shorter 9/16 wrench? Will one of the wrenches with the 2 90 degree bends in it work? All other components are on the car (distributor, radiator hose, P/S pump and belt).

Thanks!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm assuming you have power steering since you are having trouble accessing the bolts under the compressor. I usually remove the compressor and the brace as a unit by removing the 3 bolts that hold the brace to the head and block and the 2 bolts that hold the compressor to the dog leg bracket. I've found this to be easier since the bolts in the block and heads can be accessed through the 3 holes in the power steering pump bracket. Once the compressor and brace are off it's a piece of cake to turn it upside down and remove the 4 compressor to brace bolts.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm assuming you have power steering since you are having trouble accessing the bolts under the compressor. I usually remove the compressor and the brace as a unit by removing the 3 bolts that hold the brace to the head and block and the 2 bolts that hold the compressor to the dog leg bracket. I've found this to be easier since the bolts in the block and heads can be accessed through the 3 holes in the power steering pump bracket. Once the compressor and brace are off it's a piece of cake to turn it upside down and remove the 4 compressor to brace bolts.
what he said... although i believe i first did it with a wobble socket extension, thin socket, and one of those 90 degree elbows. But taking off the entire bracket and a.c. is probably the easier way to go (w/o bashing your knuckles when the wrench slips)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally got the fourth bolt out. It took a shorty wrench and very small wrench turns due to limited space, but I got it off. Next time I will remove brackets. Thanks, folks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts