Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my front seat reupholstering, and am having trouble getting the wires connected that go in the 3 grooves in the foam. I tried starting with the one that goes across....put the wire in the upholstery sleeve, push it into the foam, and hog-ring, but cannot get it to. i tried poking a wire thru the bottom to pull it down to the frame, but still cannot get it close enough to catch the wire through the foam.....any help???

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Get a good pair of hog ring pliers and push real hard. I wasted about 10-15% of my attempts in doing my first set of seats. Takes a bit of effort and a while to get the hang of it....

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
an extra set of hands also helps with this task :)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
also, set the upholstery out in the sun or get it heated up a bit for more stretchability(is that a word?) ::
well you know what I mean

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I agree with the others, get a second set of hands to help, and keep trying. It's a tough job but well worth the effort. The second seat will be easier, too. ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just went through the same thing you are talking about last sunday. I figured out a much faster way than the hog rings. I took concrete reinforcing tie wire and cut 4" pieces from it then bent the pieces into a big "U" with a pretty tight radius. Push the "U" through the sleeve from the upolestry side in the areas of the steel frame behind so you can wrap the tails around the frame. Twist tight and cut off to a short length. Wallah!! I finished an entire seat back in the time it took me to do the first hog ring. Hope the description makes sense.

Mark

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
put the wire in the upholstery sleeve, push it into the foam, and hog-ring
I had to pierce the sleeve with a hog ring and THEN push down HARD into the cushion with the "listing wire", hog ring and pliers. You have to grab the the string/wire that is a part of the cushion with hog ring. I put my knee into the cushion to get it to compress. "Ringing" the listings into place is probably the most effort out of the entire process. Ring the side listings first. I put one ring on each bottom/hinge end first. It'll hold in place while you wrestle with the upper part of the listings. I only put 3-4 rings per side. Just dont TRY to ring it from the back side. I did and nicked the piping threads. Had to take it off and sew the seam back up... ::. Hang in there. You'll love the smell of fresh seats in a hot car...mmmmmmmmmmm ::

Edit: I also used hog rings from a local farm supply store. They seem to compress easier. Made from a softer aluminium/copper/steel mix.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
From a prior post of mine (just cut and pasted to save me some typing):

Ok, here's the patented johnpro installation method that you won't find in any book (just kidding ... it's not patented, but you still won't find it in any book).

Remove the old covers, listing wires, and buns. Put the listing wire into the new seat covers. Hog ring the seat covers to the buns. Now set the buns with attached covers onto the seats. Hog ring the listing wires to the seats. Pull the edges over, pull tight and hog ring the edges. I guarantee this method to save you 4 hours per seat, as well as 356 curse words, and 3 throwings of the hog ring plies across the garage ... oh, it will also save about 3 blisters per hand.

I've done probably 25 or so seats. This is BY FAR the easiest way you'll ever find to do it. And, yes, feel free to PM me, although, I'll probably be very busy in the garage this weekend.

BTW ... yes, 5 minutes in the clothes drier = 4 hours in the sun.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have done 2 sets of high back seats for a 69 and a 70 Mach. I use a body dent puller (the one with a red handle about 6" long and a small bend at a 90 degree on the end) and reach though the seat frame from the back and hook the wire in the cover. I then pull it up to the frame and hog ring it. This is done with the upholstry in place. Use a good set of spring loaded hog ring pliers and an extra person is very helpful. My daughter helped me with my 70 Mach seats when she was 14.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts