Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the TC back on I cant get it to line up. Any tricks or advice?? Its a C4

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You mean into the Bell housing?
Or on the flex plate ::

·
7,010 Posts
You really just have to keep working it until it slides all the way in. I've never found any trick...its just patience. Seems like it takes me about 10 minutes to of wiggling to get a torque convertor on every time I mess with one.

Phil

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I usually spin it for long long minutes while pressing gently.

I ABSOLUTELY believe getting it seated is cheap insurance against fragging a torque converter and probably having to drop a tranny to get it cleaned out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This is one of those items in which I think "the other guys" had a better idea: Bolts through the flexplate into the converter, rather than fighting to pull the converter-mounted studs through the holes in the flexplate.

Anyway, I found that my Nail-Puller had just the right bend to reach behind the converter (through the starter opening) and leveraged it forward. Not sure of the officially recommended procedure but I'd suggest torquing the nuts in several stages, criss-crossing as if putting on a wheel. Good luck.

- Gord

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ditto on the patience. Put one on yesterday and could not conceptualize the method with the
equipment. As an exersize, after it dropped on I marked the placement and pulled it back out.
Close examination yielded no clues. Then I dropped it back in..lined up the marks...it did not drop!!!
Usually it is 2 clicks then a slide for installation. The 2 clicks occurred with minor wiggling.
Slide occurred about 45 degrees off after about 7 minutes of turning and jiggling!!
Ronny Milsap was singing "Let's take the long way around the world" on the radio so I was
having a good time.
Bruce (TX)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts