Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering getting a 1969 Mach 1, It's a little rough but it appears to be all there. Numbers matching, etc... I found out yesterday that the current owner does not have a title. I know that the car is not stolen, I know the current owner and how he got posession of the vehicle.
Does anyone know how I go about getting a clean/correct title in VA?
TIA
Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paul,
I looked into that as well when I was looking to buy a car that was out of state, and no title. DMV told me that out of state is a problem, but in state you could make it work. It all depends on how he acquired the car. If it's a lost title, then a duplicate can be had. If he was just given the car to pay off debt or whatever reasons, he may be able to claim the car was abandoned on his property, and then a title will be issued to him. I think that unless it's a legit deal, you may steer clear of title-less cars ( unless for drag racing). Just my .02 cents. Try contacting the DMV....the one in Spotsylvania ( I'm in Fredericksburg, VA) was very helpful when I was looking into getting a title for a car that didn't have one. Needless to say, I steered clear of it...you never know what may happen or come back to bite him....then YOU!!!!
Dave

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to get this done with my 66 conv. Call DMV and explain the suituation, they will assign the case to a DMV investigator who will come and inspect the car. He will verify the vin is not stolen and do some paperwork which allows you to get title. The only catch is if it turns up as stolen or something. You want to do this before putting any money in the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave,
Well, I finally had a chance to go down to the DMV today, the one in the Massaponax shopping center.... The lady behind the counter was so-so helpful. She ran the VIN # for me and no hits came back. She actually asked me if the vin # i gave her was correct... I asked what do I do now and she said I would have to go state by state until I got a hit on the vin #. I then asked, since some states drop vins/titles after so many years what would happen if I got no hits. She said then, I should bring back all 51Certifications (one for each state + D.C.) and then VA DMV would assign it to someone higher up....
A freiend of mine suggested using Broadway Title Co. For $220.00 they can get me a "clean" title.... I am just not thrilled about spending that kind of money on a company I know nothing of. And, how would they be able to get a title for me if the only way I can would be to go to every state's DMV.
Any ideas / suggestions?
TIA
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts