Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a Gilmer drive set up on the stang?

Thinking about getting one on my 70 and wanted some opinions from people who have tried one/have one/know some blah blah blah LOL

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
what's gilmer drive???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, its a instead of a Serpentine belt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'd hate to see what would happen if your belt went out on the freeway or even worse somewhere far from home. I don't think Autozone or Checker carry any replacement belts for this set-up. On the Bitchin' Scale it definitely ranks high though.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Definite WOW on the looks cool meter .

No spare belts avail at the corner parts store .

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Cog belts make a bit of noise. This is the type of belt used for roots superchargers like the 6-71. The whine you hear from those is actually from the belt, not the supercharger. Just to give you an idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I had one on a circle track car back in the late 80s. Never really liked it. Only used it for about a year. The pulleys seemed to have alot of wear in that time and we broke one belt. I then switched to a HDT radius tooth belt and had much better luck with them.But I am sure they have better pulleys on them now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am tempted I must say. Id probably buy a few belts just incase. The noise wouldnt bother me I dont think :cool:
Id still keep the standard pullies incase I didnt like it.

Reactions: BigDoginTN
1 - 10 of 10 Posts