Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Girl Meets Mustang's 67 Build

2906 Views 26 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Girlmeetsmustang

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
Welcome, I'll be following.

You've got the Very Best year and model,.....

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Glad to see you joined the home forum.

I thought from your facebook posts that you already had your car running.

Did something go wrong?

Reactions: Girlmeetsmustang

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see you joined the home forum.

I thought from your facebook posts that you already had your car running.

Did something go wrong?
yep, my 302 has a piston slap/engine knock. Used a plumbers camera and found a cracked piston. Am currently deciding which route to take and what makes most sense.

I drove it up and down my street a few times but just took the 302 out this week to reasses. Gonna get the tranny rebuilt too, to be on the safe side.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
yep, my 302 has a piston slap/engine knock. Used a plumbers camera and found a cracked piston. Am currently deciding which route to take and what makes most sense.

I drove it up and down my street a few times but just took the 302 out this week to reasses. Gonna get the tranny rebuilt too, to be on the safe side.
Assuming that you have found the extent of the damage, a teardown and rebuild to replace that piston shouldn't be any big thing for you. Just time consuming and I remember you paid more than junk prices for your engine so that's got to be extremely frustrating that the builder used junk internals.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assuming that you have found the extent of the damage, a teardown and rebuild to replace that piston shouldn't be any big thing for you. Just time consuming and I remember you paid more than junk prices for your engine so that's got to be extremely frustrating that the builder used junk internals.
I thought about doing it myself, but in all honesty I really don't know if it's worth the time for me right now. I bought it assembled and semi-rebuilt. I've never done an engine myself, and I am pretty nervous about changing parts out and experiencing similar or other issues. When i bought it, I knew nothing really about engines or any of this. It was not machined - so I'd still need that done too. Calculating cost and time in conjunction with the amount I spent, feels like a bit of a waste.

With that said, I am trading it in for credit and may be getting a rebuilt/machined 351w which for the price seems like a decent trade.

· Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback restomod
1,724 Posts
i know, i've been active on IG/FB! I wish there was a VMF app :) But happy to finally be a member and not just a lurker haha
yup we talk on instagram lol. this forum has missed a lot of good work on your car unfortunately

· NOT Canadian (Really!)
2,462 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the progress. Can't speak for anyone else but, I like it here a LOT better than other social platforms. It also depends on what you are looking to get out of the "relationship." Here you will find an ASTONISHING level of expertise and helpfulness. On FB a lot of the "advice" makes me SMH.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the progress. Can't speak for anyone else but, I like it here a LOT better than other social platforms. It also depends on what you are looking to get out of the "relationship." Here you will find an ASTONISHING level of expertise and helpfulness. On FB a lot of the "advice" makes me SMH.
Oh, I've been actively lurking since February! I'm on here reading and wading through forums. Just never posted until now :)

I do agree though, the level of expertise is great.

Now I've got to fix some wiring issues, an alternator which isnt engaging properly, and figure out my next engine ;-)

· Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Welcome in from the shadows! Hopefully you embrace the forum format. I am too old and too cynical to embrace the social media apps and hope this forum stays alive as long as I do.

Nice looking ride and you sure are making quicker progress than I am...great work...and a sense of humor to boot (judging by some of the Instagram entries.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.