Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as most of you know, about 2 weeks ago, my long-time SWMBO Jamian decided she needed some "space." I don't want to go into the details right here, but I guess I got some closure tonight. She wanted to meet for coffee at Starbuck's and we had some good talk. Then I walked her to her car, where she promptly gave me a bag full of my stuff from her house.

I was relieved to find that she decided to return my engagement ring/earring set:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/antian26/ring.jpg

Almost $2,000.... I should pawn them and spend it on my car.

all you people who have been in my shoes; How do you deal with the jewelry? She gave me back a lot of other jewelry, but the ring/earring set is the most valuable.

I wouldn't feel right ever giving them to someone else... Should I sell 'em or keep them for posterity?

I'm so lost. At least I know I have the VMF...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You wont get near the the worth of those items. don't pawn them if you don't need to. With stuff like that I'm pretty lost too. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Anthony, i was sorry to read about your breakup with your girlfriend. Time will heal the heart! I think you should sell the rings and spend the money on the other love of your life. The Mustang will always be there unless you decide to get rid of it. Take care.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I'll never fully recoup the cost... It's like anything else.

I will probably tuck them away. I'm very sentimental...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I really shouldn't give advice about something of this nature, but I'd sell them ASAP. You don't need something around the house to brood about. Put it all behind you and get on with it. Get yourself an internet broker (Scottrade is a good one) and buy some stock, the market is about to make a good rebound. Later, you can decide what you want to do with the money after it grows a bit.

See, I'm way to practical to be giving advice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You may wanna put them away and when you do meet the next special someone use those as a trade. most jewelery will take for upgrades and new jewelery so the cost isnt as bad of a hit on the old pocket book.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
sell it to a friend about to make the mistake that you did, you'll get more money to put into the mustang - the lady that may [censored] you off but never spoil too much of your life

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely like the stock idea. Jamian's dad (whom I still have a great relationship with) is a stock broker, and he's been nagging at me to pick up some stocks. So maybe I'll magically come up with some money for him to invest.

Hopefully he won't want to know where it came from. :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sell it to a friend about to make the mistake that you did
I don't look at our relationship as a mistake. In fact, both of us have grown a lot out of our time together. I really don't have too many regrets... A few, but everybody would. There's really no bitterness or anger going on here.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Move on... I've heard those two words very often in the past couple weeks. :(

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHY CAN I NOT SLEEP!?!? THIS IS DRIVING ME NUUTTTTSSSSS.

Where's the Mikita drill? ARRRRRRGH.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Anthony- Move on is a very easy thing to say and when you love someone as you have it isn't easy as some make it out to be. We all deal with things at different paces. You were very lucky to have this end and get back the items that came from your heart with your giving to Jamian and it was a great jesture on her part to give it back. She still cares I believe and still don't want to hurt you or she could have easily done it to you. Life will go on I know because I have lived this sort of thing out as well and even though we are the Dumpies you'll always know in your heart you have tried your best and it just didn't work and it will be her loss in the end w/o you and your heart ache that just takes time to heal. Good luck Anthony and I hope you keep your head up and keep plugging along!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had that happen to me long time ago but I went back to where i bought them and was refunded 80% of what i pd for them. of course it depends on how long she has been wearing them.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I know I'll never fully recoup the cost... It's like anything else.

That feeling goes away when the next one appears. Just like when you sell a car and the next project shows up.
Keep it if you want. sell it when the next "project" shows up.
Dan

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
My first and only *true* love still has all the jewelry I bought her. We have been broke up for 4 years. We were young...lots of memories. I can only imagine she keeps them as reminders of the good times we had. I'm old as dirt now...just turned 27 in June. ;)

Just wait till you can't sleep because you can't get the thought of a new girl out of your head. I broke up with my last girlfriend of 3 years over a year ago. Saturday I finally met someone that simply rocks. I can't sleep now! I got 1 hour of sleep this morning... isn't life crazy!?

If you knew why I left my last girlfriend and you'd feel really good about your breakup. It's always nice to breakup on "good" terms. :)

I'm not sure I believe that time heals all wounds. They just tend to fade. I can't say I'm totally over any of the girls that I've cared for, but I'm not paralyzed either. It gets better, just take it slow...you really don't have a choice.

Anyway, enough of my sleep-deprived rambling.

One more thing, you have a lot of fun ahead of you....you just don't realize yet.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Most of us have been there and done that.....

When I sold my 71 Boss 351 4spd for an engagement ring in the early 80s and drove a beat up 72 Vega instead I thought life was good...When we broke up life sucked and I didn'tt even have the 71 to help with the pain...I saved the ring and had a friend who was a good jeweler rework then when I was ready for a new relationship...Now I am on my 20th year of marriage and 21 years of knowing SWMBO....

Save them they will go up in value and have them melted down and reuse the gold...Maybe trade the stones to the jeweler ffor different ones that the new SWMBO will want...find out what her favorite stones are and surprise her...oooops I get a bit off track....

Try it you may like it....

HTH....

Mel

·
Registered
708 Posts
First of all... Ive been in your shoes as well (like so many more of us), only for a lot longer.... What I'm trying to say is that I really feel for you.... All breakups are hard, but this is one of the more painful ones, being left in the dark for a while. You and your story really brings back my own pain from years ago...

So on to the jewels... You said you'd never feel right giving them to anyone else you might once again love so much... And you're right, that will probably never be wise...(women never seem to like those kind of hand me downs...). So you've basically answered your own question... Sell them now and spend part on the Mustang and put away another part for the time when you've got another love in your life. You may think it may take ages, but now you have some more closure, you might be surprised at how quickly things can get better...

At least go on living... Don't shut yourself off from life around you...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well, not that I blame you, but I'm sure with 4800 posts here on VMF, I would venture to guess that's one of the stated reasons for the breakup???? Some might say you have your priorities straight "joke" ;)

Hey, don't forget to change the "Interests" section of your bio page! Simply replace the word "girlfriend" with "mustang". Quick fix! :eek:

Now, about the ring. Keep it for sentimental value, or hang onto it in case the ex comes crawling back, but don't keep it to give to the next girlfriend. If she ever found out it belonged to an ex, you would be in deep ka ka!

Personally, I would sell it and put the money to good use! Mustang parts!!! :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm glad you got them back. It was honorable of your ex to give them back.

If you just want to get rid of them, I'd try to sell them locally rather than pawn them (through a newspaper or Ehay?)

I know you're probably not looking this far ahead but . . .
Stones are stones, really, You'll never recoup the value, but you can have the stones reset in a pendant, necklace, earrings or other ring. Why sell the stones at a loss just to have to buy more stones in a different setting several years down the road?
OR . . . you can hang onto them and if you ever see the opportunity to buy jewelry for some other occassion, trade them in on the new jewelry for credit.

Or perhaps there is a special lady in the family; mom, niece, sister, who would appreciate them.

I plan on giving a valuable necklace I have not worn in three years (that the giver refused to take back) to my cousin when she graduates in three years. I could pawn it, but for the meanial pitance I would get, I would rather have my cousin have a really nice piece of jewelry.

Good luck with whatever you decide

1 - 20 of 44 Posts