Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Mustang w/289.

Brought the car home yesterday and was looking under the hood when I saw something not quite right. There looks like maybe some sort of isolator or possible simple junction box that is located sort of under the starter solenoid switch on the passenger side inner fender. One of the wires that is coming off the hot(?) post of the solenoid is attached to the post on this isolator where it ties into another wire that goes further into the engine bay. This isolator is pretty much rotted away and the post is just dangling in midair.

I looked at Napaonline, but they did not show anything remotely similar to what I have.

So what is this "Isolator" and where can I buy a replacement.

Also, what is a good relatively cheap service manual for a 67 Mustang. Where can I buy it?

Don't want to keep bugging you guys.

Btw, the car runs pretty good. Has a few things to sort out, but that's half the fun. Right?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: Gizmo under the stater solenoid switch

Can you post a picture of this isolator? One was not originally installed to my knowledge. My '67 does not have one. Seeing a picture of the part might help.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Is your convert a power top? It sounds like it's the junction block for it. It's part number DY141 $33.95 at Mustang's Unlimited.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,007 Posts

330Scott said:
Also, what is a good relatively cheap service manual for a 67 Mustang. Where can I buy it?
Best and first place to look is the factory Ford Shop Manual, an easy purchase from NPD, California Mustang, CJ PonyParts, etc. etc. Can also get it in CD (DVD?) version if you wish. Around 35 or $40 IIRC. It's a well written manual, easy to follow with specific directions. Even all left thumbed shadetree mekaniks like me can follow it easily.

Next is .....the VMF. Have a good digital camera ready. You call, we haul.
There's not a Mustang mystery that hasn't been solved here, even some weak engineering that Ford screwed up on (cowls, for starters....)!
Enjoy your new Stang!
John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Craig, yes it has a power top. Here is the link to the P/N that Jason gave me.

And Jason, that P/N looks sorta similar to what mine probably looked like years ago. I can't figure out why there is a junction box though. Only one wire in & one wire out. Could just as easily been wired direct. Unless of course something is missing on my 42 year old car. Think I'll call MU & see what they know about it.

Probably should get a FSM. Thanks for the leads, John. Yeah, I am already enjoying the car. Except that all the gals on my street think the car is "cute". Cute? Brother... :shrug:

Thanks again, guys.

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well I spoke to Kevin, the techie at Mustangs Unlimited and he pointed me to the correct part. It is a fusible link junction block used for the '66 verts. However it appears to have also been used on the early '67 verts as well. My car has an extremely low VIN and the MU picture looks identical to my broken part, so there I go. Should have the part early next week.

Thanks again for pointing me in the correct direction.

Scott

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

330Scott said:
Well I spoke to Kevin, the techie at Mustangs Unlimited and he pointed me to the correct part. It is a fusible link junction block used for the '66 verts. However it appears to have also been used on the early '67 verts as well. My car has an extremely low VIN and the MU picture looks identical to my broken part, so there I go. Should have the part early next week.

Thanks again for pointing me in the correct direction.

Scott
Good, I'm glad we were able to help out.

At first I thought it was part of some aftermarket alarm, stereo, fog lights or something else a PO did (and sometimes you'll find some wierd stuff) but then I remember you mentioning your car was a convertible in another post.

The extremely early and late production cars can be a little challenge at atimes too as sometimes parts will carry over or will be used ahead of time depending on which factory, the parts supplies, and when the changes started taking effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts