Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While hanging around the shop on Thursday waiting for the touch-up work on my car, another customer came in for a brake light fix. The owner was a little, older lady with a '66 A-code GT coupe with almost every conceivable option, including an original AM 8-track system! The car looked rough on the outside, with a fading vinyl top and the bare/primered paint job, but closer inspection showed the sheetmetal was rust-free and undamaged.

Her plans are to restore it to original, but she was having a hard time matching the original Sauterne Gold paint. She was resigned to using a Chrysler paint that she thought "looked pretty close." AAAUGH! Fortunately, I had my PC with me and was able to pull up my spreadsheet of all the '64½ - '66 colors and their PPG codes. She jotted down the code for Sauterne Gold (43433), and went away assured she could get a painter to match the exact original color.

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ahhh, the power of computers and computees! Imagine how that might have gone 20 years ago?

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
I would have had to steer her to our local PPG dealer, Tri-City Paints. They do great work matching our old colors.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

G

·
0 Posts
Great job!! Glad to hear we can all help each other!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts