Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Scouts, not the BOY Scouts, were selling popcorn at the local grocery. Yes, there were girls in Scout uniforms. I've been a scout leader. But I refuse to support the org any longer. I know it's not the fault of the children but I won't reward the parents who perpetrated this change.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
What happened to the Girl Scouts, did the merge with the Boy Scouts?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Haha popcorn was a rip-off for my kid and me after selling a few thousand dollars' worth, lots of sweat equity. The troop leader bought stuff for the older kids, left him in the cold so to speak, and the Boy Scouts of America became the Scouts of BSA. We won't be back. I'm not buying cookies either. In before the lock !

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
I’ve been alive in 7 decades.

Me too. In a couple of months that will become 8 decades. Call me out dated, left behind in the past, an old fogey or whatever but the USA is on a downhill slide. At the rate we're going it's not going to be long until we're nothing but another Third World Country. I've seen this country lose it's morals, values, discipline and everything else that made it special. I wish I could be optimistic about the future but I don't see any change in the way we're headed.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
From what I've read, parents want their 11-17 year old daughters to go into the "Scouts" because the Girl Scouts turned their focus on to selling cookies. So the BSA opened their doors to girls and many of them headed over. Then this last year, the Girls Scouts turned around and sued the Boy Scouts over trademark infringement because the BSA was changing its name to just "Scouts". It's so confusing.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Luckily for the future all the haters and fear mongers of change, equality, inclusion and progress will be dead sooner than the rest of us, still, none too soon :yoho:
"This will go well." How prescient of you.

One of the tenets of our constitution is "free association." It's not "hate," or "fear-monger(ing)." It's free association which is protected. I suspect a "lock" is on the way. Whatever. This is wrong, and I'm willing to suffer the slings and arrows. Especially as there's no real punishment but moderator censure. Enjoy your "inclusion." And be aware of how off-the-rails that concept can go (and at a number of western bakeries, has already gone).

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
"This will go well." How prescient of you.
This is very common for this individual. When a thread isn't to his liking, he comes in and starts vomiting all over it until it gets locked down.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
As if "change" is always good. Some times change is a horrible idea and destroys it, not only for the ones not wanting the change but for the ones wanting it as well. If girls wanted "change" they could have easily changed their own organization to closely mimic the BSA. Not wanting to lose the identity of a group is not fear mongering.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if this was a voluntary (as in, we'll get sued if we don't go along) or involuntary change, but it's part of a pattern that eliminates freedom of choice and association. Baby steps, comrade.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Well I see two issues, part of it stems from the gender identity issue that human beings are having in the world today. I mean let's not be what we were actually born as. The other is the double standards that are perpetuated daily, we're going to sue the BSA because they won't allow girls in, (this did happen) but when the case was settled did it extend to boys being allowed in the girl scouts? :O

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Its great that in America we only participate in what we choose to participate in.

Except death and taxes.....................

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know it's a can of worms. But this kind of thing begs the question, where and how will it end?
Kinda like the fall of the Roman Empire?:shrug:

It's been years since I've seen a child in a Scout uniform of any kind. Around here everyone has their kids involved in 3 sports and a time leaving room for little else.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts