Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 Dearborne built Fastback that I'm going to be purchasing a new windshield and RH and LH door glass. I have a new repro back glass but I don't recall if it has any markings let alone date codes. I have to dig it out of storage and check. All the glass is green tinted. Anyway, I'm going to have the date codes and other markings etched into the glass.

If someone has has a 65 or 66 Dearborn built car and could could provide some pics of the etchings or just type out the etchings in a post, it would be much appreciated. Also the locations of the etching on the glass would be helpful. What I'm going to do is copy all the markings except the date code. My 65 Fastback was built around September 2, 1964 so I'll vary the dates on the glass to within 1 to 2 months of the build month of the car. Seems most of the concours folks don't like to see all the glass on a car coded with the same month/year. I'm also open to your suggestions regarding date coding.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
36,621 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I have repro. door glass on my '69 Mach 1, and I'd like to have it etched since I'm going more of a concours route with the car. I checked the thread you mentioned, but it appears OEM Glass has closed as of this month.
Sad but true.

THANK YOU!
After 30 years in business, OEM Glass Inc. And OEM Tractor Parts have closed our doors for good. We greatly appreciate your support and patronage. Our last day of business was on 6/13/14. Any open orders have been cancelled and/or discontinued. Any remaining inventory and the contents of the building will be on auction on Saturday, July 26, 2014. Watch lanceschmidauctions.com for further details.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info daniel9478. Searching the internet, I'm seeing different info regarding this topic. I was hoping someone could post some actual info from their 65 to help me sort this out.

I'm looking for etching location, whether the etching is readable from the inside or outside of the car and the info in the etching. I've found information on the internet but what's lacking is whether the glass is original or reproduction (Who's to say the reproduction etching is correct?), the year of manufacture of the car and plant in which the car was assembled (Did Dearborn have a different carlite glass supplier location than Meutuchan? If so do the codes in the etching reflect the plant where the glass was made?). Below is the info I'm also looking for. It varies depending on the piece of glass. Here's an example from a windshield.

Windshield (line-by-line):

SUPER-30
LAMINATED
SAFETY GLASS
Carlite
D (inside a circle) SUN VISOR R (inside a circle)
0A SUN-X AS1
DOT-75 FM-M91

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
36,621 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Mustang glass was made in batches, not every work day of every month.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So what do we know about this glass business? all my glass is so badly scratched up that I really need to replace. So OEM is gone, Carleton glass does not offer 'CarLite' scripts any longer, so my choices are:
1. Buy from a mustang parts supplier, which seem to offer either Golden Star or AC Glass.
2. Buy direct from ProSource Glass or PS auto glass.

I am not restoring concourse, but I do not want some big ugly PPG etching in my windows either.

Are there any other options out there, or can some one offer some first hand insight?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Back in 2010, I ordered a new Carlite windshield from OEM Glass for my 65 convertible. I had them etch the Carlite glass codes from my original windshield onto the new one. My Mustang is a Dearborn built car (08/04/64) The etching on my original windshield was read from the inside. I have attached pictures of the original and the OEM Glass reproduction. I'm sad that OEM Glass has closed. They were a great resource for us. As far as vendors that now reproduce the Carlite codes, I recall seeing something in a past mustang Monthly Tech/how-to article (on the website) about a FL company that now offers this service. I think that this was a couple of years ago, however.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I made a few calls... Auto City Classics does not offer the 'tinted' glass without the markings.
PS Auto Glass does offer glass without markings, AND they will etch the Carlite stencil for a fee. They are pretty pricey though.
So I cross referenced their glass codes and found that Mustangs Unlimited also sells tinted glass with no markings. A few hundred bucks cheaper overall, but still more expensive than just buying the Golden star brand with markings.

I have also found a way to etch the Carlite logos myself. I have recreated a perfect template that matches my existing logos almost perfectly. Same font, same size, same Carlite logo script. The letter spacing is off my mere millimeters and I may be able to tighten that up a bit in word.
I will be using a photosensitive silkscreen method to create the etching with etching cream.
I am a still color sanding and buffing right now, so it will be awhile before I work on the glass. I will post pictures of my tests and final product when I get to that point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also found a way to etch the Carlite logos myself. I have recreated a perfect template that matches my existing logos almost perfectly. Same font, same size, same Carlite logo script. The letter spacing is off my mere millimeters and I may be able to tighten that up a bit in word.
I will be using a photosensitive silkscreen method to create the etching with etching cream.
I am a still color sanding and buffing right now, so it will be awhile before I work on the glass. I will post pictures of my tests and final product when I get to that point.

Can you tell us how you made the etch template? How did you cut it? What did you make it from? What are you using to etch?

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts