Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the windshield and rear window loose and ready to lift out, and I'm kinda hung up on how to store them. I'm leaning toward building crates and packing the windows, maybe with some expanding foam, then hanging 'em up on the ceiling. Anybody have any suggestions? Any easy, trick "window holders"? :)
Later,
Dennis

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a shelf built up high close to the ceiling. the glass is stored on it's edge and held in place by a light weight bungie that fastens to the wall on either side. This keeps the glass on edge, and up away from all the goings on at ground level.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How long are you planning on keeping them out of the car. I stored my fastback rear glass under my bed and placed the front one on its side in the side yard. Mine were only out for three months so YMMV.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Any easy, trick "window holders"?
Trying to uncomplicate things, have you thought about sitting them on edge on the floor? Place a couple rags on the floor and lean the glass against the wall. Unless you're throwing tools around, the glass will be fine.

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Mine have been sitting in garge wrapped in blankets against the wall for almost a year and a half.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy, you guys got bigger cojones than I do. :) Looks like most everyone just stored 'em bare and out of the way, huh?
Thanks,
Dennis

G

·
You are overthinking this...I taped some old sweaters around them and set them in the corner out of the traffic area in my basement..IMHO building crates to store glass is way overkill.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
I wrapped both my rear fastback glass and windshield with GoodWill old blankets, and leaned them up against the wall, but sitting upon a wooden rig to keep them off the floor. 5 years later, they came out exactly as they went into storage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Same here.
On edge, used bubble wrap between all the edges, in an out of the way building.

Almost 4 years now, I look at the dust as an extra layer of protection. :p
The expanding foam heats up as it sets, it could cause uneven heating/cooling in the glass and possibly shatter it especially in the kind of weather we have been experiencing.
It's Ohio. Whaddidyou expect?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Overthinking? I agree! This isn't rare Hungarian crystal! Auto glass is pretty rugged!
I have two sets of bolt in windows for my '70 Torino vert that have been knocking
around in the basement storeroom/shop for over 15 years. My Mustang is almost done,
next comes the Torino. This glass gets frequently moved around as I look for Mustang parts.
The pieces stand free on the concrete floor leaning against the cinder block wall with no protection.
Each time I move them out of the way I examine them. No detectable damage yet! ;)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, then. You all have convinced me. Actually, that kinda takes a load off my mind.
Thanks again, :thumbup:
Dennis

·
Registered
537 Posts
Make sure they are away from grinder sparks and welding. this will ruin glass.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Also acid rain!

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Resting on floor mats, leaning against the wall, with the hood leaning against the wall covering them. Sleeping peacefully.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Go to an auto glass shop and get some glass boxes. They are essentially two pieces of cardboard that are glued or stitched together. All you have to do is protect the edges, but these containers also prevent it from getting scratched. The glass just slips into the middle, and they usually have an oval cutout for a hand hold so it can be easily carried. This is how the glass is shipped to the shops. The guy I use just throws them away because he accumulates so many since he receives much more glass than he ships.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bighorse said:
Go to an auto glass shop and get some glass boxes. They are essentially two pieces of cardboard that are glued or stitched together. All you have to do is protect the edges, but these containers also prevent it from getting scratched. The glass just slips into the middle, and they usually have an oval cutout for a hand hold so it can be easily carried. This is how the glass is shipped to the shops. The guy I use just throws them away because he accumulates so many since he receives much more glass than he ships.
Great idea. Thanks,
Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts