Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up a set of Global West L-10R springs for my 66. I wanted to go ahead and put in the Del A Lum bushings in. But I'm loosing my mind trying to figure out which ones are correct.
When looking at the site, There is the 105SH, 106SH, and the 114SH.

114SH says for Reverse Eye Global West Springs, click the link, says it's for 67-73 Reverse Eye springs. And "This kit is for a reverse eye cat-5 mustang performance rear leaf spring. The difference between a cat-5 reverse eye leaf and standard reverse eye is the rear leaf spring eyelet dimension. The cat-5 is larger, it will measure approximately 1.625 inside dimension. A standard reverse eye rear leaf spring will measure approximately 1.350 inside dimension. The smaller bushing kit part number is a 105SH. Before ordering a Del-A-Lum shackle kit, please check your rear leaf spring eyelet dimension. " So, I assume I'm at the wrong spot.

105SH Says for OEM springs, which the L-10R are not. So, I'm at the wrong spot.

106SH says for Global West Springs, and says for a 66 mustang. I think I'm good?

The link for the L-10R says to use a 101SH, which global west does not sell.

I called Global West. The guy says you need the 114SH. I tell him what his website says, and he tells me they are referencing "standard" eye springs. I said, no it mentions reverse eye springs. I called back after discovering the link in the L-10R says 101SH. He says, he's never heard of those. But he's "pretty sure" it's the 114SH.

I don't have alot of confidence that this guy knows what he's talking about.

Is there a chart somewhere with dimensions of the bushings? Does anyone know what Del A Lum bushings are supposed to go in the L-10R springs?

·
Spammer Hammer
9,661 Posts
Can’t answer your question, but it probably would have taken you less time to call GW and get a direct answer than to type and post this thread. Not trying to discourage you from posting, but both products are GW so I would think they would be the most knowledgeable to answer your question.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t answer your question, but it probably would have taken you less time to call GW and get a direct answer than to type and post this thread. Not trying to discourage you from posting, but both products are GW so I would think they would be the most knowledgeable to answer your question.
As noted above bud. I did call them. Hence my confusion after speaking to them. I keep getting the same guy when I call.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping someone had a chart that I can confirm with.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you prefer not to ask for someone else, call John at ORP. He sells the GW bushings. He might be familiar enough with their leafs to answer your question. If he isn’t, try Shaun at SorT.
Great POINT!!!!!

Just waited on hold for an hour and got Doug. He clarified that his sales guy was wrong.
I need the 105SH according to him.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I bought these:

So that's wrong? I bought them so long ago that Summit and Global West will probably tell me to go **** myself.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I called Global West. I was told to take some measurements and then send a pic of my original invoice (hopefully electronic works) and they might be able to do something. I explained that I made my purchase based on their own recommendation of what to buy. Hopefully they can help me out.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, after calling 4 times and getting the same sales guy. I requested to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about, I got DOUG. I would suggest you do the same if you have any issues. Doug was great, and I'm pretty sure he's the guy you see in the Global West videos. His role in the company, I do not know... But he was very knowledgeable.

Doug explained to me that the Original L-10R Springs will use the 105SH. The "other" L-10R are the CAT 5 style that are designed to be used with a spherical bearing. They would use the 114SH. The 106SH is for 67 and up, or later made leaf springs. The 106SH were specifically designed for other aftermarket springs. He did say that some of the Global West springs may come in this size.

Take these dimensions as a grain of salt, as I was jotting them down as I was chatting.
105SH is 1.350"
106SH is 1.420"
114SH is 1.625"

After a long discussion with Doug and the misinformation on their website, it looks today as if they have attempted to rectify it on their site a bit better, I noticed some of the part numbers have been changed and are in BOLD on their product page. He agreed that the website was misleading and incorrect. And apologized for the other sales guys misdirection.

Regardless, as we all try and put parts together for our project it can be difficult. This is why I tend to purchase from places that have easy refunds/parts swapping/customer service.
I called Open Tracker and they sell the 105SH and stock them. I was going to order direct from them, but I ultimately called Summit Racing and had them price match Global West's pricing and should have them in 2 days. I also get 90 days to return through Summit, so if something doesn't fit right... I can swap them for the 106SH.

Moral of the story here, sometimes it's not just as easy as calling. You gotta get the right guy on the phone to be certain.

I called Global West. I was told to take some measurements and then send a pic of my original invoice (hopefully electronic works) and they might be able to do something. I explained that I made my purchase based on their own recommendation of what to buy. Hopefully they can help me out.
I think they will. They know it was an issue bud, I suggest you specifically request DOUG if you need further help. Sidenote- Patrick wasn't trying to be rude. He was just stating a fact that we all have to live with. Problem is, if you're like me at all. I don't want to wait for springs to arrive, then wait for bushing to arrive, then install. It'll turn a 1 day project into a 3 week ordeal. And Global West should of been clear on their page. Please fill us in on how they handle it. I'm curious as to their customer service for issues. Hope it works out for the best for you, and I'm sorry to point this error in information out. Wasn't trying to ruin your day. I would triple check regardless, get those springs out and measure them!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I'm going to measure today. Of course can't find my micrometer so I'm going to have to have to try and use tape or a ruler. Ugh.

I don't think Patrick is rude. I think he speaks his mind. Like me. Even if it's not completely constructive/necessary. It just stings being on the wrong end of it. :LOL:

I think he likes the pushback too. Spice of life.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to measure today. Of course can't find my micrometer so I'm going to have to have to try and use tape or a ruler. Ugh.

I don't think Patrick is rude. I think he speaks his mind. Like me. Even if it's not completely constructive/necessary. It just stings being on the wrong end of it. :LOL:

I think he likes the pushback too. Spice of life.
I know. I'm tired of buying things twice for sure.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to measure everything. Looks like mine are wrong.
According to global west, the fronts are all the same. You're gonna need the 105sh. I just got mine in today, I can mic them real quick if you need me to.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Yeah, fronts are the same. Was just curious. Got it figured out, they said I could just send back the one set of bushings and they would replace them with the correct 105SH.

Global West is still a good company, didn't sell out to the Chinese or some huge aftermarket conglomerate, should have known they'd take care of it. But you never know after two years.

Glad you brought this up.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI- The 105SH does mic out at 1.380

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
So, after calling 4 times and getting the same sales guy. I requested to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about, I got DOUG. I would suggest you do the same if you have any issues. Doug was great, and I'm pretty sure he's the guy you see in the Global West videos. His role in the company, I do not know... But he was very knowledgeable.
Doug is the owner. Global West IS Doug. Once he's gone, there will be no more GW. You got a taste of that reality with what's on their website and what their
salesperson is saying on the phone. Sad but true. There is no heir-apparent at Global West.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Well I hope he can sell out to Holley or Pertonix or something and make some nice cash before retiring. Bad for us but those guys should get a pay off what they put into it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts