Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yup. You said a lot there. Particularly true in the rear.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
You told me that years ago. And damn if it wasn’t true...
I don’t personally know anyone running the Hotchkis stuff.
Richard Trujillo on the west coast runs their stuff with good success.
Their arms look pretty much like the GW arms but cost more.

·
Registered
565 Posts
...From my experience, the old mustangs like soft bump and stiff rebound.
The Bilsteins are the “cheapest” good shock. I like their sport version.
Viking makes reasonably priced double adjustable shocks that opentracker sells.
Hotchkis sells some trick Fox shocks that are pricey.
And if you have unlimited money you can get Penske shocks that Cobra Automotive sells.
For spirited street driving, I would go with the bilsteins. Better shocks are likely to cost way more....
Did a little homework on Viking. They're a rogue spinoff of QA1, from what I can tell. They LOOK fantastic. My biggest hesitation with their twin-tube design, you have a real small piston inside a small inner chamber. I've yet to find a twin-tube shock that provides anything near digressive valving. With gas mixed in the oil you also have aeration or bubbles in the oil, fading, to deal with. From things I've heard there were some growing pains there, maybe they've sorted out production and design problems by now, I don't know...

Bilsteins ARE a great monotube shock design. Whenever I've bought a 'sport' valved Bilstein, I've always wished they were a little stiffer. That's where the Fox adjustable digressive monotube comes in and could be the answer? We spend SO much $$ on all these suspension parts, why sell ourselves short with low price shocks?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
From my experience, the old mustangs like soft bump and stiff rebound.

You (GT289) told me that years ago. And damn if it wasn’t true...
I don’t personally know anyone running the Hotchkis stuff.
Richard Trujillo on the west coast runs their stuff with good success.
Their arms look pretty much like the GW arms but cost more.
The adjustments for the Hotchkis Fox shocks are 28 clicks of rebound only. Lol, I'da seen that if I just looked closer at the pic I posted. So that's a plus right?

The Hotchkis 'light weight' hollow fr sway bar looks nice, but they don't sell it individually, just a fr/r kit for big $$. There's no point running their other stuff if GW are less.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Did a little homework on Viking. They're a rogue spinoff of QA1, from what I can tell. They LOOK fantastic. My biggest hesitation with their twin-tube design, you have a real small piston inside a small inner chamber. I've yet to find a twin-tube shock that provides anything near digressive valving. With gas mixed in the oil you also have aeration or bubbles in the oil, fading, to deal with. From things I've heard there were some growing pains there, maybe they've sorted out production and design problems by now, I don't know...

Bilsteins ARE a great monotube shock design. Whenever I've bought a 'sport' valved Bilstein, I've always wished they were a little stiffer. That's where the Fox adjustable digressive monotube comes in and could be the answer? We spend SO much $$ on all these suspension parts, why sell ourselves short with low price shocks?
I have Vikings on my '48 F-1. Big difference.
Without getting into gory detail, basically Viking was started by ex-QA1 guys who didn't like certain business
practices that went on at QA1. I was told it was one of the engineers and a couple of other staff that defected.
I do not recall where I got that story, but I generally don't repeat stuff that isn't pretty close to reality.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OMG Jsams, I had NO idea there was an 'off the shelf' Fox shock available for our classic mustangs!! Thank you SO much for enlightening me, because as a SF Bay Area motocross and mountain bike guy I've still got a 'connection' to the Fox suspension that's been making everything bounce better since I was a kid mx racer!!

You NAILED my needs to a 'T'; monotube DIGRESSIVE valving! That means it can be firm cornering (slow piston speeds) but if you hit a sharp bump (faster piston speed), the shock valving 'knows' and softens up. It's the best of both worlds. Who's tried these, guys?? Somebody review these please...

Single adjustable valving from soft street to stiff race? Not clear if that single adjustment is rebound or compression or a little of BOTH? But I've got faith it's a damn good 'made in USA' product. All that for only $180 per shock? That's not pricey that's a bargain. Why isn't EVERYONE running those? In the past the Fox Shox company has been the kinda place you could bring your shock back to, and for a small fee they'd rebuild and/or revalve the shock to your liking if your needs didn't meet the range of production.

Pics attached below, dang link didn't work.

The only thing better, in my vivid imagination, would have been to have the shock body flipped upside-down, removing it's weight from the moving (unsprung) part of the suspension, and a reservoir, on a ss hose, at the top that can expand the oil/nitrogen capacity for even greater performance and valving adjustability. The only ones close would be $1,500 JRI, Penske, etc.

I'm all roller everything too. Roller spring perches etc., so this is my missing link. Wish they had heim instead of poly bushings but maybe that's ok... Thanks. Love to hear of ANYONE trying these?

67-70 Mustang Hotchkis Tuned 1.5 Adjustable Performance Series Front Shocks
Let us know how you like the shocks then.
As I said earlier, I have never seen any reviews of the Hotchkis stuff.
Since their east coast office/factory is 45 minutes away, I should stop by one day....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Let us know how you like the shocks then.
As I said earlier, I have never seen any reviews of the Hotchkis stuff.
Since their east coast office/factory is 45 minutes away, I should stop by one day....
Right, I've never heard any of the guys talk about Hotchkis, although their name is old as the hills. Clearly they did some R&D on shocks, because they've got two versions of 'specially valved' Fox Shox; s/adjustable that I'd consider CHEAP and even cheaper non-adjustable ones. That design, valving, plus rebound adjustments, it's gotta be wonderfully smooth on our full roller front suspensions...? I know, I'm a little Fox biased, but for a good reason.

Yea go there Jsams, I'll split the gas and beer money with you :pirate: !

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Where did you get that anti roll bar for your truck. I like that!
I called Dan at Carolina Swaybar.

https://www.carolinaswaybar.com/

Although their focus is building bars for private label these days, they have prototyping ability, so they
can build a one-off. They like to work off completed blueprints, but they accepted my crude drawing....
(which I just noticed is missing a few dimension numbers)

I built the rest of the hardware in my shop. Nobody makes a front bar for 48-52 F-1's.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right, I've never heard any of the guys talk about Hotchkis, although their name is old as the hills. Clearly they did some R&D on shocks, because they've got two versions of 'specially valved' Fox Shox; s/adjustable that I'd consider CHEAP and even cheaper non-adjustable ones. That design, valving, plus rebound adjustments, it's gotta be wonderfully smooth on our full roller front suspensions...? I know, I'm a little Fox biased, but for a good reason.

Yea go there Jsams, I'll split the gas and beer money with you :pirate: !
Hotchkis will be coming out with a coilover system for the vintage Mustangs and the shocks will be made by Falcon. I've never heard of Falcon before but my buddy said that Falcon is just as good as Fox in the Jeep community.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
are these the shocks that Hotchkis is claiming you can adjust via bluetooth using your phone?

·
Registered
565 Posts
are these the shocks that Hotchkis is claiming you can adjust via bluetooth using your phone?
I'm gonna guess that the Falcon coilover pic is NOT the bluetooth version, because of the manual damping clicker on the end. I'd think the BT version would have a servo and harness to external controller?

Oh, and before I get TOO excited about that Hotchkis Fox Shox, this just crossed my mind; the other big advantage of a monotube shock besides the larger piston, is the floating oil/nitrogen divider thingy that nearly eliminates fading by keeping the oil and nitro separate. On a short body shock like for our vm's, they sometimes don't have the travel or room inside for a divider, so they just let 'em mix and call it an 'emulsion' monotube - a serious DISADVANTAGE, in my book. Major aeration of the oil! They could easily overcome this with an external reservoir that houses a tiny bit of the main oil, the floating divider and gas on the other side. But then they should flip this design over so the major weight doesn't move.

Before I take the plunge I'll find out, and also see what's up with that bluetooth Falcon coilover, which, just by the look of it, I'm sure it'll be a $1,000 shock or close to it.

See attached Falcon Monotube floating divider piston, where the gas would be pressurized on top via shraeder valve, sealed oil beneath, then piston and rod below (not visible) in the oil:

View attachment 713636

Those Falcon Shocks look like the real deal fo sho just like Fox! If they can make 'em for our cars, with the inside hard anodized like the Fox, they ought to be sweet. Expensive, but sweet.

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts