Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the Ford assembly books they show areas of adhesive applied to the floor and rocker areas,

so what type of glue are they using and what brands should I go out and get, Id prefer somehting in black, should I use silicone, liquid nails or what??

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I used brush-on contact cement (3M? Elmers? don't remember) on my 66 carpet. Didn't work worth beans! However, none of my carpet is now glued down, and it's looking and holding just fine!

I used the full floor sound deadener kit. This covers everything except door sills, so there really isn't much area to glue, unless I glued carpet-to-pad and pad-to-metal.

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You shouldn't use adhesive on the carpet or sound deadener. The door sills, kick panels, and seats will hold the carpet in place. If you did have an area that need adhesive, try using 3M's spray contact adhesive.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did my whole interior on my 66 c-code convert, and I didn't use one drop of glue. Buy the underlayment, and use the trim, door sills, seatbelts, and seats to hold it down. I had one stubborn spot on the passenger side that I used a little bit of carpet tape on, but I imagine once the distortion is gone, that'll be unnecessary too.
Good luck.
T

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts