Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vinal on the door panels and seat backs ('66 coupe) wraps around the cardboard and the edges are glued down. On one of my seat backs and one of my door panels, the glue is letting go. What would you use to glue them back down? My entire interior is only 3 years old and looks great other than this problem.

On a related rant ... the original door panels lasted 30 years without comming unglued. So why can't the repro ones last more than 3? Don't worry, I already know the answer ... because their REPROS! *LOL*

·
Registered
692 Posts
Weldwood Contact Cement was recommended to me to cover my kick panels in vinyl. It worked super, and I used it on a much more difficult shape that the door panels or seat backs. You can purchase a small can at Home Depot or Lowe's, and maybe some of the smaller hardware stores as well. Apply a coat to the vinyl and let sit for about an hour before sticking it to the backing. Then, use a heat gun to soften the vinyl and stretch it while you apply the vinyl to the backing. Unlike other contact cements, Weldwood actually gets stickier when heated. Other cements tend to break down when put under the heat gun.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I used contact cement to repair my door panels. I also used a spring clamp to help it bond.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Weldwood is very good, as is 3M trim adhesive (available in a tube). For larger areas, use 3M spray on contact adhesive.

Scott

·
Registered
900 Posts
Definitely use a good contact cement if you want the repair to be permanent. As you may know, contact cement requires you to coat both surfaces and let them tack up before joining the two. Be sure your alignment of the surfaces to be bonded is dead on before you join them though because contact cement bonds on contact (obviously) and won't want to let go for anything. Good luck. Love your car pix.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my lunch break, I went by Home Depot and bought the Welwood contact cement (I've seen PCH Cruiser's interior, and if that's what he used, that's all the argument I need).

I let the contact cement set up on the door panel while I replaced the regulator in the door. Then pressed the vinyl back onto the back of the door panel and heated it as PCH Cruiser suggested. Tonight I can repaint the interior of the door and re-install the panel and be back to good as new.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts