Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how or why I get myself into these things, but I couldn't pass it up for the price. If anyone needs a '61 ranchero in a few months, I'll probably have one for sale LOL.

It's got a 170 i6 and a 2 speed auto, she runs and drives well! It's going to be a fun little around the town car/truck thing, I'm really excited.

There's some minor rust that needs to be addressed and it desperately needs some shocks, but besides that I'm probably going to enjoy it as is for a while before taking it to paint.

IMG_0684.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_0681.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Perfect little beach ride.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
So how many projects do you have now?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how many projects do you have now?
That would make six, three of which are mine.

'61 Ranchero
'68 Mustang fastback
'69 Mustang convertible

I'm working on a '67 and '73 mustang convertible for a couple people as a side job as well as a '65 coupe.

Balancing these projects on top of my full time job and a couple online courses has been... interesting?

The fastback conveniently decided that it doesn't want to send power to the ignition the day after I brought home the ranchero. I think it's jealous.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I understand completely. If I spend too much time on the mustang my old F150 invariably comes up with something to take my time.

I can only handle 2. I have the 65 fastback project from the depths of perdition and the 68 lowered turbo air cooled street buggy. Then there is the truck maintenance, fix my shower and a dozen other things to do around the house. I retired early due to illness too. I was very gratiously offered a very nice management buy out package so I do ok. I'm only operating at 60 percent maybe tpp s it gets to me if I let it and I'm verrrryyyyyy sllowwwwwwww.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I remember thinking my car was jealous us too. I ordered a BBM 427 block and a week later my Prius started acting up. Ended up being a blown head gasket and a bent connecting rod. It was a chore to pull that engine and rebuild it.

Congrats on the Ranchero find. Looks like a cool car

·
Registered
678 Posts
A local friend has a very similar Ranchero, however it has a blown 455 Olds, 5-speed Tremec, and big tires out back. Maybe yours will get the same treatment one day?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Not sure how or why I get myself into these things, but I couldn't pass it up for the price. If anyone needs a '61 ranchero in a few months, I'll probably have one for sale LOL.

It's got a 170 i6 and a 2 speed auto, she runs and drives well! It's going to be a fun little around the town car/truck thing, I'm really excited.

There's some minor rust that needs to be addressed and it desperately needs some shocks, but besides that I'm probably going to enjoy it as is for a while before taking it to paint.

IMG_0684.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_0681.JPG by armon7, on Flickr
Just remember who made the first comment about this on FB - >:)

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
Man... I don’t know how you do it. I have two projects (one of which was not SUPPOSED to be a project) and it’s driving me up the wall.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That's a sweet ride! I like the paint as it is. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'll be turning this into a mini "build thread" and keep it in the general discussion section since it's not technically a mustang.

The reason I got the car so cheap is due to the rust around the drip rails and roof, not many people are willing to take on something like that. I on the other hand, apparently hate myself enough to attempt to fix it. With that being said, I need some parts. What started as an innocent call to a craigslist ad for a '61 hood turned into quite the adventure.

Me: "Hi, how much for the hood?"

CL: "Not sure, I was hoping someone would take the whole car"

Me: "How much?"

CL: "$300"

IMG_0713-2 by armon7, on Flickr

Once I thought about logistics, I realized that I had no way of loading/unloading a car with no wheels and suspension. I called the guy and he told me that for $300, I could take whatever I wanted off the car.

So that's exactly what I did :).

IMG_0706.JPG-1 by armon7, on Flickr

Keep in mind, this car has no title, no rear frame rails and is a shell. This poor falcon was doomed to become a parts car a long time ago. The whole package fit in the inside of a 2007 Honda Pilot SUV.

IMG_0719.JPG-1 by armon7, on Flickr

I've now got the sheet metal to fix the drip rails and roof as well as replacing the hood. The front fenders on the donor car were in better shape than the ones on my ranchero so those will likely get swapped out as well. I've already gone ahead and replaced the door hinges on the drivers side of the ranchero with ones from the donor as mine were sagging. This is going to be fun! ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Teaser Pics

Here are a couple of pics of my friends Ranchero I have dubbed the Frankenchero.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Time flies, I was thinking you were still a college student!

So jealous of the "rusty cars" you guys have out there.

The drip rail rust looks nasty, but repairable, looks like it got a good bit of the A-pillar too.

I'd still take that over rusty floors, trunk floors, quarters, rockers, door and fender bottoms :lol:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so the drip rail rust and roof rust is REALLY nasty. Today was spent fixing that with the donor sheet metal from the falcon that graciously gave us its body parts.

IMG_0607 by armon7, on Flickr

There were quite a few places that actually didn't have any drip rail at all, it had all rusted away. My guess is that water got trapped under the seam sealer and rusted from the bottom up.

IMG_0608 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_0609 by armon7, on Flickr

I started by buzzing off what was left of the drip rails to see what was left. From there, I cut a 1" strip above the drip rails to remove the damaged roof. The metal underneath was ground down and treated with Ospho.

IMG_0775 by armon7, on Flickr

The donor sheet metal was lined up with sheet metal screws. I won't go into detail at how I dissected this piece from the donor car, it was NOT fun.

IMG_0806 by armon7, on Flickr

A million tack welds later:

IMG_0809 by armon7, on Flickr

There are still some low spots across the seam that need to be addressed, but a thin skim coat of filler will take care of the rest. The replacement drip rail was seam sealed with SEM black seam sealer, hopefully this never happens again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts