Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently converted my 65 Mustang to a Mustang II front suspension and installed a steering column with a GM connector. At the same time I completely replaced the entire wiring harness in the car with a CJ Classics with the upgraded fuse box. When wiring the turn signal switch from the GM column to the Ford harness I did nothing with the horn wires or the emergency flasher wire but the front and rear turn signals and the brake light power are all hooked up and I have checked them at least 10 times to make sure they are correct. The issue I’m having is when I hit the brake pedal the right front turn signal also comes on as well as the turn signal indicator in the dash. Any thoughts on what I could have crossed up? The only other deviation from stock is I’m running a hydraulic brake light switch which is simply wired to the factory connector. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sounds like an issue with a ground somewhere. Given that you replaced the whole harness it could be anywhere.

When you say you checked the wired 10 times what do you mean by this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just that I checked to make sure the correct wires from the GM turn signal switch went to the correct corresponding wires on the factory harness. I thought I may have had one of those crossed up but I checked them several times and they are in the correct locations. I’ll definitely go back and check all the grounds. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,024 Posts
Why would you do these things? You should send your OEM harness to Midlife for restoration. Why would you replace the steering column? What was wrong with the OEM suspension that made you think you needed a MII suspension?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original harness was beyond repair. I bought the car for my wife and she didn’t like the feel of the stock steering so I did the modern front suspension and lost the shock towers for a possible coyote swap and the kit came with a steering column with GM turn signal switch. Wiring it isn’t really a big deal but I obviously have something crossed up or loose somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All brand new including a new/reman PS conversion from chopstang. It drove fine as far as I was concerned but she’s the one driving it.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I recently converted my 65 Mustang to a Mustang II front suspension and installed a steering column with a GM connector. At the same time I completely replaced the entire wiring harness in the car with a CJ Classics with the upgraded fuse box. When wiring the turn signal switch from the GM column to the Ford harness I did nothing with the horn wires or the emergency flasher wire but the front and rear turn signals and the brake light power are all hooked up and I have checked them at least 10 times to make sure they are correct. The issue I’m having is when I hit the brake pedal the right front turn signal also comes on as well as the turn signal indicator in the dash. Any thoughts on what I could have crossed up? The only other deviation from stock is I’m running a hydraulic brake light switch which is simply wired to the factory connector. Thanks for any input.
[/QUOT

Ill try to help out, What color wires are coming into the t/s switch from the rear? what colors did you choose at the GM switch input?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts