Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to retrofit a GM type II power steering pump from an LS engine onto a SBF? my Saginaw pump is starting to leak and I'm thinking about upgrading to the type II GM pump to work with my borgeson power steering box. I'm assuming all is needed to make it work would be the correct bracket to mount it to the cylinder head right?

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I adapted a KRC pump, (GM type II) to a Ford serpentine system. KRC sells the brackets to fit the pump to a Ford small block with a conventional belt configuration.
www.krcpower.com

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,134 Posts
Some people call them "Saginaw TC" pumps. They are most definitely not LS specific. You can basically just buy the needed bits or even the whole thing from KRC. They've been selling them for more than a few years now.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
174 Posts
I thought the pressures or flow rates are different between the Ford and GM pumps? They make restrictions for the conversions, but can’t remember the specifics.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adapted a KRC pump, (GM type II) to a Ford serpentine system. KRC sells the brackets to fit the pump to a Ford small block with a conventional belt configuration.
www.krcpower.com
How do you like the KRC pump? My Saginaw pump gets pretty hot after a mildly spirted drive on mountain roads. I can see the fluid smoking after opening the fill cap on the pump. That's and it likes to leak fluid all over my fender apron too.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
82 Posts
I thought the pressures or flow rates are different between the Ford and GM pumps? They make restrictions for the conversions, but can’t remember the specifics.
I installed a Saginaw pump with a MII rack and pinion. It required a flow reducer. The reducers are readily available.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
How do you like the KRC pump? My Saginaw pump gets pretty hot after a mildly spirted drive on mountain roads. I can see the fluid smoking after opening the fill cap on the pump. That's and it likes to leak fluid all over my fender apron too.
I haven't run it yet, but I'm also using a power steering cooler. They also have replaceable flow control valves to tune the pump output These pumps are used in off road racing as well as NASCAR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts