Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: I have a unique 68 Fastback that I was going to restore with oldest son, but he wanted a Mach instead, so we went that route, leaving me with the Fastback. It's a 68 J code Factory GT with a deluxe Seat Bench Interior. It is the 63D code, which the only made 256 of them, and is in the registry. Even has the original build sheet I found in the car. It is complete less engine and trans. Body is medium condition, doors and back is original Ford paint job, not rusted out, 4 front inner panels replaced after front end hit, straight frame, great fenders, doors, one quarter repaired poorly (my opinion since it can't be seen from the outside). Dallas Car. Problem is in current condition (no engine/trans, replaced front sheet metal, mismatched colors) car would not bring a whole lot as a restoration project. Soooooooooooo, Do I 1) lift the goodies (tach set up, Tilt set up, AC, disks, Factory fogs, etc that are worth a bundle on e Zay and substitute sliders parts 2) Sell as is for a nominal sum as a restoration project 3) Either lift or don't lift the goodies, spray the whole thing one color, and advertise the heck out of it on Ewhay as an Ellie anor or Shelby Kloner, and since it is just a few miles from the Panoz facility where they are doing the clones, I would even drop it off for free. Trouble is, a unique car for be gone forever, but would probably bring a whole heck of a lot more. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Bob,

I'd get shot by the SWMBO if I hauled another 'Stang home but sounds like a restore project. Hope you can keep it together for someone to do it...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sell it as a restorable project to some lucky VMF'r

·
Registered
616 Posts
Save this car some one on here would love to own it.

some one offer this guy some cash for this car

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It's your car, get what you want out of it. If you can sell it as a project, and the dollars you get is satisfactory, then do that. If things are better for you going the other route, do that.
If you have to sell it, advertise it here first. Should no one "pony" up the right amount, sell it on the auction site ( put your reserve above the top amount from here ;) ).
You gotta do what's best for you.
BTW, my opinion was free, so you get what you pay for!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
IMO do not part it out OR sell it to the Cloney's. It's getting hard enough to find a stock fastback. In a few years when this clone craze is over, there is going to be a lot of "groovy/cheezy" cars out there.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you dont want it the 68 anymore, I'll take it off your hands. I LOVE 68s! Especially fastbacks! I'll make a clone of it...not an Eleanor clone, but a Bullitt clone! ::

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
IMO do not part it out OR sell it to the Cloney's. It's getting hard enough to find a stock fastback. In a few years when this clone craze is over, there is going to be a lot of "groovy/cheezy" cars out there.
I think I should be offended somewhere in that statement... ::

Maybe you meant ...when this ELEANOR craze is over, there is going to be a lot of "groovy/cheezy" cars out there ??? ::

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's getting hard enough to find a stock fastback. In a few years when this clone craze is over, there is going to be a lot of "groovy/cheezy" cars out there
My car will be "groovy/cheezy" :: .

Like Cloney, I am hoping you were referring to the Eleanor craze going on right now :).

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Yeah, me too! ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you decide to sale send me some pics, Texas is not to far for me to drive for a fastback :)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It's a unique enough car to garner more interest than most fastback cars. You've probably got a inkling what the individual pieces would gather from watching the-auction-site-that-shall-not-be-named. Make a list of what assets you would have to auction off. Keep in mind parting it out takes up your time, and "time is money", too. Would the car likely sell for 90% of that? If so, selling it et-situ would fulfill the "nobler" aspect of keeping it whole for a restoration.

The problem comes in when most of these rarer cars are worth more in parts than package. Like RichLong, if parting it out nets you the best return, I could hardly fault someone for following that path. Anyone who as undergone a restoration knows it's a moneypit, and financial losing proposition. I have sadly had to part out two exceptional cars because I couldn't hook up with a sale in-whole. Times are a little different now with the-auction-site-that-shall-not-be-named. I'd not waste time and money making it one color; although spraying a gallon of primer-looking house paint on it would give it a more acceptable appearance ;). I'd put it up for auction with the either your investment cost or that 80-90% as the reserve, and let "nature" take it's course. Sentimentality usually ends up costing us money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts