Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy up the street from me that has a nice looking 70 Mach1. It's just been sitting in his driveway for about a year now, and im starting to doubt he's going to do anything with it. Im wondering if i should go to the door and make an offer for the car, and if i do that how would i go about it? Im kinda new at this so any help would be appreciated!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe you should sniff the air first just to make sure that the reason he has neglected his ride isn't something more serious ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think knocking would be such a bad idea,if done right.
Maybe like ,Hey, I can't help but notice this fine car just sittin' here, Do you have a problem with it I could maybe help out with.
If there is a reason such as illness or worse,I would think a person would welcome keeping the car in the neighborhood, I know I would.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right Convertible!!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have a good friend that bought a 65' Shelby by approaching the owner who would not sell and sincerely offering to help him fix it up. Not buy it.

Several months later the guy called him up, not to ask for help but to tell him he appreciated the thought and asked if he wanted to buy it!

He did... (true story)

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've done this many times. I haven't had anyone shoot at me yet....... (close once though......*G*).

I'd sugest being honest. Go to the door and if the actual owner is there, explain what you just said to us. "Hi, I have a mustang and live in the neiborhood. I've seen your car here and wondered about it. Is it for sale, or do you need parts or something........yadayada, etc.". Most Mustang guys would be happy to talk about it even if it isn't for sale. Who knows, maby you'll get lucky! (uhhhhh, I mean about the car.....*G*).

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I doesn't hurt to ask. As long as your cordial and polite about it. It might even be a good idea to let him know you live up the street and drive by all the time and were just "curious" or "wondering" if he might be interested in selling his Mustang. You never know too, you might strike up a friendship. He might also be interested in restoring it, but is looking for someone to help get him steered in the right direction on how to do it or where he can find parts for it. Over the years I've done this several times and have never been chastised for doing so. I've also left notes on cars to asking if they might be interested in selling. Even if he does not want to sell at this time, you can ask to leave your name and number and if he ever decides to sell give you a call. After all you'll never know if you don't ask. By the way I was successful one time when I noticed a 1965 Mustang convertible gathering dust under a carport in an apartment complex. The car was filled with parts too. I knocked on the apartment door and talked to the lady and asked her if she might be interested in selling the ca. She said Yes!, but had to check with her ex-husband. They had recently divorced and agreed to sell the car and split the proceeds. I made out big time. Not only did I get the car for a good deal, I sold the extra parts (i.e. extra set of seats, console, etc.) which reduced the amount I had invested in it. I say go for it!

Rich
1966 Mustang GT convertible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts