Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1965 K code Convertible
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change my current 4 blade fixed fan to a 6 blade thermal clutch fan in my 65 289 .
I think that these are the parts that I will need :
FAN CLUTCH ASSY, THERMOSTATIC - #8A616-1 - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)
FAN BLADE ASSY, 6 BLADE - #8600-7A - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

However I am not sure about the mounting hardware that I will need for fan to clutch and clutch to water pump
There seems to be some different options out there
Could someone point me to what I would need ?
Also my current fan has a spacer to get it into the shroud, will the new setup require a spacer ?

Feel free to comment if there are better options for the fan and clutch, I saw Scott Drake fans as well but cant tell if it is better or different :)

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Two most common clutches used are the Hayden 2710 & 2711. 2711 is 5/16" shorter than the 2710 for those needing extra clearance. The one you linked to is a Four Seasons 36954, which is the same height as the 2710. 65 used a 17"-ish fan on all 289s, so the Derale 17117 on NPD is the closest match.

You should use studs on a fan clutch, Dorman Help! # 23733 is the kit I've used, available at any parts store.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I did the same - went from a four bladed fixed fan to a thermal clutch 6 bladed fan. I know I used a Hayden thermal clutch but I don't remember which one. I just used four bolts and lock washers that fit by going through the clutch mounting points, the fan, the spacer, the pulley and into the mounting flange on the water pump. Why I never thought of using studs and nuts to accomplish the same thing is a mystery to me. Now I have another project. :)

·
Registered
21,492 Posts
I'm using a CL special that's a late 60's GM 18" with a 75 Impala 350 thermostatic clutch and a couple universal spacers. This Frankenstein setup works great despite not having a shroud.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
156 Posts
Read this thread.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I find it best to follow the Ford documentation.

From the 66 Engine Assembly Manual: (I highly recommend the assembly Manuals. They really help on issues like this.)

cross referencing the numbers to the AMK hardware catalog:

Item 3. Sold As AMK kit F-1201

Item 4. Sold as AMK Kit F1804

Reactions: dm289 and 68Ghost

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am going to change my current 4 blade fixed fan to a 6 blade thermal clutch fan in my 65 289 .
I think that these are the parts that I will need :
FAN CLUTCH ASSY, THERMOSTATIC - #8A616-1 - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)
FAN BLADE ASSY, 6 BLADE - #8600-7A - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

However I am not sure about the mounting hardware that I will need for fan to clutch and clutch to water pump
There seems to be some different options out there
Could someone point me to what I would need ?
Also my current fan has a spacer to get it into the shroud, will the new setup require a spacer ?

Feel free to comment if there are better options for the fan and clutch, I saw Scott Drake fans as well but cant tell if it is better or different :)
I used a Derale 17117 17" fan with a Hayden 2710 fan clutch (both from Amazon) and new grade 8 bolts & lock washers. With an ACP Maxcore 3 row aluminum radiator and the stock pulley, I did not need a spacer. The clutch sits about 5/8" from the radiator.

The final installation was completed with a stock fan shroud and fan brackets for a 4 core radiator (Scott Drake C3DZ-8149-4). The fan shroud sat too high and I had to elongate the holes to allow it to set lower. I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
1965 K code Convertible
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow , this is all great information !!
Just wondering where a "counter clockwise " rotation would be used ?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have not installed my engine in the car yet, but I used the Hayden 2947 low profile thermal clutch. I used @Caper50 ’s photos for my basis, as I’m running the same radiator and fan setup as him. I also will be using the Derale fan. Maybe Brian can chime in with his photo too, because it’s excellent for showing the space with an ACP MaxCore 2 row and a 289.

Here’s mine on the stand (no fan):

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Wow , this is all great information !!
Just wondering where a "counter clockwise " rotation would be used ?
Late model 302 SBF with serpentine belt systems used “reverse rotation” water pumps.

Rusty

·
Registered
1965 K code Convertible
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So , if I want to use waterwetter as well what sort of ratio should I use ?
And Distilled only or a mix of anti freeze and distilled water ?
I've read that waterwetter doesn't work well with glycol products

·
Registered
1965 K code Convertible
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's good to hear .
I'm sure I read somewhere that the Waterwetter was not as effective when used with Glycol products

1 - 15 of 15 Posts