Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip in about 2 weeks to the southwest to go car shopping (everything is rusty here in New England). My brother lives in San Diego and is driving back here, so me and a friend decided to go out and look for a 65-73 American car to drive back home. We are trying to figure out some logistics and need to find out some information about getting a car on the road from out of state. How can this be done and what is involved? We plan to have the vehicle insured by a company back home, which should be no problem. How do we get plates, stickers, etc. Im sure it differes from state to state. What states should I avoid looking in because it would be impossible to get a plate/registration for it? Any of the states down there give temporary plates to an out of stater? Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
bill of sale and/or the title and maybe an intransit in the window should suffice for most states. when i drove my new car from new mexico to nebraska i had the bill of sale , the title and proof of insurance. the seller also let me use his plates and i mailed them back tohim when i was done.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Check out the government website's for each of the states you're looking in. They should have a link to their DMV (MVA) site which should answer your questions about change of ownership.

Good luck! (And there IS rust out here, too!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I would like to do the same thing but I'm saving $$$$ for a trailer. I'm gonna go hunt for an old Bronco. Yes there can be transplanted northern rust buckets down there but most the cars you find won't have the leaf springs popping up through the trunk floor like up here in Chicago. Check with your insurance co. most will insure a car for a certain amount of time after the purchase before you report it to them. Let us know what you find! Happy hunting! Now that's a vacation!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts