Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
While I do not have any body and paint contacts in the Fresno/Clovis area, I have seen a number of very nice cars from that area that come to Modesto (Graffiti), Buena Park (Former Fabulous Fords Forever) and Pismo Beach. Normally, I would suggest going to one or more of those shows and talk to the folks whose cars you like (unfortunately most shows have been cancelled this year) Hopefully, someone here can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
While I do not have any body and paint contacts in the Fresno/Clovis area, I have seen a number of very nice cars from that area that come to Modesto (Graffiti), Buena Park (Former Fabulous Fords Forever) and Pismo Beach. Normally, I would suggest going to one or more of those shows and talk to the folks whose cars you like (unfortunately most shows have been cancelled this year) Hopefully, someone here can point you in the right direction.
I go to Pleasanton, Pismo and Monterey shows in normal times. There are plenty of nice cars around Clovis but I haven’t looked into costs myself. I’m just going to figure 15 for a nice driver and go from there.

·
rdnck1
232 Posts
Without seeing pics of your car and knowing what body work it needs, you'll be lucky to get it done for $15k. I did go through your post and there was one trunk pic that would raise questions outside of your stated floor pan needing repair. Guarenteed there is more work needed than you expect just from those two issues (hence in excess of $15k)! Like others have pointed out, take it to several reputable shops and get a quote and what you expect for an end result. Even the best shop won't find everything until they start getting into it so add at least 10% to the quote that you start with and agree ahead of time that options will be discussed for any needed repairs. Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Without seeing pics of your car and knowing what body work it needs, you'll be lucky to get it done for $15k. I did go through your post and there was one trunk pic that would raise questions outside of your stated floor pan needing repair. Guarenteed there is more work needed than you expect just from those two issues (hence in excess of $15k)! Like others have pointed out, take it to several reputable shops and get a quote and what you expect for an end result. Even the best shop won't find everything until they start getting into it so add at least 10% to the quote that you start with and agree ahead of time that options will be discussed for any needed repairs. Good luck, Jim
I bought the car a month ago. It was painted a year ago but didn’t do a great job on it. Po said floor pan and trunk repair didn’t fit into budget. It needs the passenger drop off and a bit more repaired. I have some pics from when it was painted. Fit and finish wasn’t great and lots of overspray.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I’m thinking blocked twice, 2-3 coats primer and 3-4 coats clear.
LOL, it doesn't really work like that. The shop will have their tried and true method for how they get the quality you ask for, but the difference between a driver and a show car mostly comes down to the amount of time spent color sanding at the end. When I'm painting something, it starts with 2 coats of epoxy, filler, another coat of epoxy, anywhere from 3-8 coats of high build urethane, blocked after every 3, seal coat of epoxy, 3 coats base, 3 coats high solids clear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don’t really know anything about it, just stuff I’ve heard really. This is why I’m asking what to expect/look for etc in quality and cost.
It sounds pretty involved based upon that process you mentioned.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I’m going to be at $10k when it’s done for a proper color change on an extremely straight car with no rust repair at all. The process Lizer outlined is basically what my painter does. We’re on our 6th coat of high build, getting ready to be knocked down with 600 before the sealer and color go on. My guy does “whatever the amount of color needed to get it right”, whether that’s 1 coat or 4, but most likely 3. Minimum 4 coats of clear. I’m also in KS, which is likely a much lower cost area than yours.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The joke was Earl Scheib thinned his paint with diesel fuel to give it the shine. When the diesel fuel evaporated the shine was gone.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts