Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after reading numerous posts on the overall subject of exhaust and headers, I've decided against the tri-y's. My stang has power steering, a/c, and a manual 3spd tranny. I like the tri-y's, but there are too many issues that seem to come up in the posts I've read when one or more of my options is present.
Has anyone had any experience or suggestions for a set of equal length shorties with a 67/68 body style? All comments apreciated.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Tri-Ys shouldn't have any issue with a/c or man tran. Don't know about power steering but there are drop kits for that. However, the 68 clutch linkage might be a problem. At least I had to cut the lower adjuster rod to clear Tri-Ys when I used 68 linkage on my 65.

I haven't seen any equal length shorties in early Mustangs, but I bet that not every e.l.s fits, because many of them are intended to Fox-bodies.

I prefer long tubes and Hooker Comps 6901HKR should fit with power steering bracket.

Sorry no advice on the shorties, but you said all comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
JBA Shorties are your best bet but they are pricey, Hedmann makes a set of shorty headers for '68 SB and they are less expensive. MAC makes a set of full length headers that don't require and mods to your power steering, I'm not sure about the tranny though. Mustangs Unlimited sells them.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The problem with shorties is the collector and flange terminate just where the clutch linkage is. Due to the fact that four tubes are joined at this very point is why its hard to make a set of shorties that fits. Long tubes get it done by passing two tubes over the linkage and two tubes under the linkage.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I dont know if you've thought about it, but you might also want to consider that shorties do reduce HP compared to full lenghts. If I had the money I'd go with some Hooker Super Comps.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
And for someting a little different... How about a pair of extrude-honed factory "hi-po" manifolds. No more gasket issues; last forever... Just a thought. (You did say "all commentst appreciated.")

- Gord

1 - 6 of 6 Posts