Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started back at fixing up the small rust hole at the front of my roof. Well there was another area, fairly small about 2x2 inches square that was sticking up - cracked paint. I had known this was there so i decided to fix that up while i was at it.

Out comes the small grinder wheel, off comes the paint. Or so i had imagined. The paint seemed unusally strong, and thick. Then, the metal started to MELT!!!!

I got a screwdriver and began poking at it, and then cleaned it up a bit more.

Heres the deal: it appears a previous owner had covered a small rust hole with a plate of SOLDER. Now, obviously he didnt do a very good job, because the rust came back, swelled up beneath the solder, cracking it and the paint above it!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

So, after all that i cleaned it all up to chrome shine, melted the solder back into the hole. It's not too bad, a small hole only a couple of MM in size. At least im going to do this as good as humanly possible (next to a small welding job!)

Damn cowboys!

Gary

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Going to kill previous owner - any advice?

Use a silencer...no need to disturb the neighbors..*G*

Maybe the PO got lead and solder confused.....

I wonder what other parts of the car are soldered together...*G*

Sorry 'bout that!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I wonder what other parts of the car are soldered together...*G*

<hr></blockquote>

Oh God!....../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Gary

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Emmmm, if you find solder at the spot where the roofline meets the quarterpanel : that's not done by the previous owner but by the factory (saves a bullit or two)........

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, its about 3 inches back from the roofline.

Gary

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Was once sent out to blow up a car in St. Louis. Burned my mouth on the damned exhaust pipe. Might be willing to do the job is the money and expenses were right. A knee capping was just $25 back when I lived there. Would that help?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm not even going to start in on all the stupid stuff that happened when my car belonged to a PO. I've done a stupid thing or two with it already, but I'm not a PO....yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts