Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all i know is that I need to get a hoist, and unbolt the 2 engine mounts. What is the procedure for lifting and engine? Does the hoist come with everything I need? I want to pull both the engine and transmission - any advice??

Thanks in advance
-andrew

·
Registered
383 Posts
Safety First! I found pulling engine and tranny to take off hood and rad. If auto trans. your going to have a mess unless you have a dummy yoke to seal rear of the tranny. Make sure "EVERYTHING" is disconnected before you lift. All wiring , linkages, trans mount etc. You don't want it halfway out to find you forgot something and have to put your body or limbs between a pinch point! Like I said Safety First, take your time, and be careful !
Mike.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Make sure you disconnect EVERYTHING that connects to the engine itself. (grounds, electrical, coolant, heater box, battery, fuel.. etc...)

IF you are taking the tranny with it, disconnect everything that goes to the tranny as well. (For auto, disconnect the tranny oil lines running to the radiator etc...) Get the tranny mounts disconnected everything... Balance your lift (most likely towards the rear of the engine), so that the engine and tranny will come up and out.

Im sure I forgot something. The other VMF'ers will add some aswell.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A 65 with a 260 V8? there really nothing difficult about it. A few points of advice though:

1) Take lots of digital pictures BEFORE you start
2) Lable the wires that you leave attched to the car for reference later
3) Drain all the fluids before you start
4) have plenty of containers for the nuts and bolts so you can sort them, and have sharpie around to lable the containers.
5) Take your time, no need to "Rip" it out.

Good Luck, and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't forget to clean it to spotless perfection before you put it in! That's half the fun. Putting it back into the car without damaging your freshly restored engine bay, that's the other half of the fun. ::

http://njsr.org/pics/albums/userpics/powerteam%20pulled.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did that myself not too long ago without ANY experience at all, and it's very easy to do. Take your time and make sure you get everything disconnected, and save what you can - even if you're going to replace it. And, can't stress this one enough - make sure you have enough containers for everything and be VERY descriptive on everything. Take pictures of everything, too. And, make sure you use containers - not flimsy plastic baggies, if able. I learned the hard way when bolts ripped the bags and I lost other little bolts - that was a pain. Have fun!

·
Registered
439 Posts
definately take the hood off and the radiator out when pulling the motor and tranny together. haha I just did this a couple months ago, you may end up needing to push you car away from your hoist to help the tailshaft of the tranny clear the firewall......mine decided to get a little bound up against the firewall so I kicked aside the tire chucks and rolled her back for clearance......worked well ;) good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I didn't notice anyone mentioning an engine leveler. It is really handy when pulling the engine and transmission at the same time. I pulled my engine and transmission 3 weeks ago. That was the easy part. So far, the hardest part has been cleaning everything to get it ready to paint. :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
just like mentioned before - take plenty of digital pics to remember how the fuel line clips, coil, alt brackets, wiring, linkage, etc. fits back.
Clean everything before you put it back in - pulling both the engine a tranny is the way to go. I removed the radiator, fan, water pump, alt, carb, and exhaust manifolds when I pulled mine.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
Before pulling, place your hand on a hard flat surface. Then have someone drop a 2 liter Coke bottle on your fingers. This will warn you NOT to get any body parts under or between anything.
A friend called me for help getting an engine out of a 1966 Mustang. It was already hooked up, but stuck. Check car on jack stands (so it would not roll), chocks on engine puller, pull plate on intake, etc. Everything safe. Had to work it really hard, as the car was wrecked, so didn't have the normal space in the engine pit. Admit to getting under it a couple times to check what was binding. When it finally came out, after a long struggle, and it was set on the ground. I then noticed NO BOLTS IN THE INTAKE. The pull plate was mounted off the carb studs. He admitted he had tried to pull the intake first, and FORGOT he had removed all the bolts. Gave the intake a little tap with a wedge, and it popped right off. Nothing but age and gasket holding that engine/trans off of me. :eek:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm sure your friend would have brought a real nice flower arrangement to the funeral. :p

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Don't forget the speedometer cable! Needless to say that was the only thing i forgot. Not sure if anyone else has problems but i had to manhandle the motor/trans to get the bolt through each motor mount. Everything else above applies. Good luck and be safe! That coke bottle trick made me laugh

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Don't forget the starter!

Didn't think this would be a big deal, so I left it in. Dumb thing hung on the motor mount.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Just remember, up a little, forward a little, up a little, forward a little...piece of cake!

Oh, yeah...don't worry about all that stuff about labeling parts, keeping them in containers, digital photos...Just do like I did and throw everything away!!! Then, when you move before you drop it back in, you won't have so much crap for the movers to lose! :: Besides, I'm gonna replace everything anyway, and the new parts all come with diagrams and instructions, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts