Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 66 mustang i6 looking to finaly go V8 with my c4 trans, i updated my suspention and steering to support the new enginge. i am looking for any suggestions or tips on which 302 doner vehicle would work best and what kind of modifications will me needed, water pump, poil pan ect. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
12,026 Posts
The best donor will be a '65 or '66 V8 Mustang because everything will fit your '66 I6 body. Even if you found a '67 Mustang V8 donor the steering and rear end are different from your '66.

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend...

'68-69 Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane, Comet, Falcon would provide the best match for a 302 with stock radiator configuration (passenger side inlet and outlet).
'70-85 Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane/Torino, Montego, Maverick/Comet, Granada/Monarch/Versailles, and the Fox platforms (Fairmont/Zephyr/T-Bird/Mustang/Capri,etc) for carbureted applications using a "conversion" radiator (passenger side inlet, driver's side outlet).

This assumes you'll be getting the complete engine with all it's accessory brackets pulleys, etc. Depending on what application the engine came from you might need different exhaust manifolds/headers, oil pan and pick-up, timing cover (for front dipstick), carburetor linkage, clutch pivot ball adapter, etc.

Most any other 302/5.0 can be a decent donor if you want to convert from EFI to a carburetor, plus the above, including the '97-1/2 to '00 Explorer/Mountaineer, F-series trucks, Lincoln Town Cars, etc. In most of these applications you'll need to find "period" accessory brackets as many of these use cast aluminum ones that aren't really compatible with older accessories and V-belt systems.

Of course, if you want to pull a donor EFI 5.0 with all its associated wiring harnesses and ECU (electronic control unit) and drop the whole thing in lock, stock and barrel, that's an option, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts