Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making the beer run this morning for the Company sponsored golf tournament during the afternoon, I ran over to Checker Auto while my business partner got the beer, hehe. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif They had an internal type coil spring compressor available through a "buy/loan" program. I bought the tool, have 3 days to use it, then take it back for my refund. Free of charge.

The internal compressor looks to be a much safer, more practical tool than the external type, which BTW, is a MacPherson strut remover!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I can ratchet the spring tight with the internal unit, then insert the one end through the hole in the shock tower. That way the coil will seat in place with no obstructions.

I called around, and nobody, including the alignment shop, nor mechanics have this tool, nor do they want to mess with these coils. So I'm on my own. Thanks for the help from everyone who has responded or sent a PM. I'm hoping to have them in place by this time tommorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Ah, MacPherson Strut compressor, that was your problem. Too long to actually compress and have the room to install. The set I have (and like) are quite old and "made for" these type of coils. I can't believe that you couldn't find anyone to do this job, but I also can't believe that I was the "only shop" to know how to set points/dwell in Seattle (a claim by one of my old customers.) This time you should have no problem installing those springs! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Good luck (and it goes without saying, be careful, Dan)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean. I will be thrilled once they are in. The darned Ford diesel blue painted coils are all scratched up now too. Once installed, I will touch everything up with a Q-tip daubed with paint. I know, picky, picky!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I bought a $20 internal compressor at a discount tool place in Detroit. Kind of scary to use, knowing the pressure they were under. Helps to drop that lower control arm as far as it can go. Don't forget the upper insulater pad! I found that it helped to use electrical tape to tape the insulator in place so that it did not rotate out of position while installing the spring. AFterwards, you can just cut the tape and pull (most of) it off. BTW, that is an awesome looking paint color you have going there. Is that poppy red? Just a beautiful job.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Two toots...I used pieces of dynamat sound deadner to keep from scratching the coils it also helps avoid squeaks on corners

There is nothing wrong with being picky buddy......this is how you got where you are at...

So far it looks like you are doing a splendid job!!!

keep up the good work!!!

Roberto

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It sounds like you've not used an internal spring compressor before, so I'll give you a couple tips that will hopefully save you time and frustration.

Your natural tendency will be to put the bolt head of the compressor to the top side of the coil for easy access ... DON'T. It will be too long and won't work when the shaft of the compress hits the spring perch. Put the bolt head to the BOTTOM side of the coil, so the shaft sticks up through the shock hole. Then use a large wrench to loosen the compressor, sticking the wrench in between the spring coils.

There's other ways around it, but for a compressor that you plan to return for a refund, the ways around it will take you longer than doing it this way (ask how I know that *LOL*).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments and tips guys! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Yes 70sportsroof, that is poopy red. I can't wait to see the entire car painted that color. One of these days.... Johnpro, I'll take your advice and install the compressor the way you suggested. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts