Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, simple question. I just bought a 351C long block for my Mach 1 (sweet!) and I need to get a good stand to put it on until I rebuild it. I figured I should just go ahead and get the rotating one now, so I'm looking for any good or bad comments on which one to get. For example, Northern Industrial, OTC, Torin, anything from China? Thanks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Unless you're going to keep it and use it for future projects, I wouldn't spend too much on it. I bought Harbor Freight's light duty one and it's been fine for my smallblock - held the iron engine fine during teardown, has no trouble with the bimetal engine now (probably ~400 pounds).

The 351 being a little beefier, I'd go with the heavier-duty model. Pretty much every auto parts store, HF Tools, etc. seems to have the same light/medium pair for about the same price.

For serious, repeated use, I'd go with a heavier, more stable, less flexible stand.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Get one with four wheels also, three wheelers like to tip.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I agree with the 4-wheels, and definitely get the kind that will let you rotate the engine. I bought one from O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $50. I think it was a Delco brand. It has worked fine with my 351c.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I got the 4 wheel one from Harbor freight for $39.99 on sale and it works great. Have had 3 diff. engines on it with no problemo! The little 3 legged one is cheaper but looks like a doofus waiting to happen! ::

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like they're all the same pretty much, just get the 4 wheel version, which I agree with for stability. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure that you get on that will work well with your hoist. Some stands will not fit between the legs of some hoists, make it difficult to transition between the 2.

Definitely get one that rotates.

Also, some are made with legs that accept a plastic pan, which will hold tools or catch any fluids and keep them off your floor. I'm a big fan of the pan.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the one that is a hoist AND a stand? Is it hard to get to the engine with the hoist hitting you in the head? Also, where can you just rent a hoist when you need it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts